Invitation to collaborate on a short story anthology

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

imperiex

Invitation to collaborate on a short story anthology

Unread post by imperiex »

Hello all,

I'm an English teacher at a school in Malaysia. Our students are 13 to 17 years old and we follow a combination of Cambridge (CIE) and the national Malaysian syllabus.

Since 2013, we have self-published books of our students' short stories as part of our English Language Enrichment Program. Through this project, we give our students an opportunity to write for a real audience instead of exams, and we stress the importance of revising and editing over trying to be hyper-correct.

We sell the books to our own students, teachers and parents (we never aim to make profit so we don't apply for ISBN) and we also present them as gifts to public figures like government ministers, academics and local authors in exchange for letters of recommendation for our students.

For 2016, we want to take our game to an international level by collaborating with a foreign school to produce a book. This book would consist of short stories written by students from both schools. So we are looking for a school that would like to work with us on this project.

Though we do exercise strict quality control, we do not expect stories written by professional authors; we simply want to give students a chance to see their works in print and make it accessible to audience outside the classroom.

We will bear all the cost and work on typesetting, design and printing; the only thing your school needs to do is get your students to write a story, edit it and email it to us. There will be no other costs or work incurred on your school whatsoever.

We welcome any school from around the world (except Malaysia) to work with us. You don't even have to be a Cambridge school; you can be rural, urban, public, private, low income, high income, single sex, co-ed, secular, religious, technical, correctional, boarding school etc. All we ask is that:
(1) your students are 13-18 years old
(2) they speak English or learn it as a subject
(3) your school has an internet connection, since all communication between our schools will be through email

After the book has been printed, we will mail you 50 copies for free (postage is on us). You can use the books any way you want: sell them, put them in the library, give them away etc.

If you are a teacher (or someone who can get me in touch with a teacher) and you're interested to work with us, please send me a private message so we can iron out the details e.g. project timeline, number of stories, the general theme etc.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is an educational project. We are not scammers and we are not out to make a profit. Our school does not (and will never) sell the books to the public. We will only sell the books to our own students, teachers and parents to recoup the printing costs. All copyright remains with the student authors.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: Ideally I would prefer to collaborate with only one school, which means both school would submit, say 15 stories, equally, in which case we would send you 50 copies of the book for free in return. But if you feel that your school cannot commit to submitting a large number stories and can only manage one or two, we also welcome your contribution (the more schools featured in the book, the merrier!) But unfortunately we will only be able to send you one copy of the book.
kefah

Re: Invitation to collaborate on a short story anthology

Unread post by kefah »

hi,
my name is kefah lahwani, i'm from israel and my students are 12-15 years old ..... i would like to be part in your project...... may u please send me your email so we can talk in details ....

best regards,
kefah lahwani
imperiex

Hi kefah,

I have sent a private message to you.
Hanan

Unread post by Hanan »

Hi, I'm Hanan. I'm an english teacher. My students are 12 - 18. I'd like to collaborate with your school if it's still possible.

Regards
Hanan
imperiex

Hi Hanan,

Which country are you from? Please send me a private message for faster communication since posts by new members take some time to appear. Cheers :)
kefah

Unread post by kefah »

hi,

i'm so sorry but i did not get any message from u ........

this is my email : kefa7.etn@gmail.com

please send me an email so we can continue talking :)

i really wish to start the project as soon as possible ;)

best regards,
kefah lahwani
imperiex

Hi kefah, I hope you have read the message in your inbox.
imperiex

For anyone who is reading this thread, this project is still open. If your school would like to work on the anthology with us, please send me a private message.
kefah

Unread post by kefah »

i have sent u a private msn too . i hope u read it :)
Thomasndegwa

Unread post by Thomasndegwa »

Hi,
My name is Thomas. I am a teacher of English and Literature from Kenya. My students are between 14 -18 years old.
I am interested in taking part in the project with my students. May you send me your contacts.

Regards
Thomas.