teaching ESL over Skype-need advice

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

speedpro

teaching ESL over Skype-need advice

Unread post by speedpro »

Hello All,
I am teaching English to two Swiss children ages 5 and 7 over Skype once per week. I have been creating all the worksheets and plans from scratch and it is taking too much prep time to be sustainable. Does anyone know of a curriculum for young beginners that I could just purchase and follow? There are so many options that I am stumped.
Thanks!
LeBon

Re: teaching ESL over Skype-need advice

Unread post by LeBon »

Hi speedpro
Take a look at off2class.com They have a lot of lesson plans already prepared and you can assign homework. I use it and it works very well.
ladycc

Unread post by ladycc »

Hello speedpro,

You should check on this link https://www.wor.com/
They are providing all the things that you will need in the future and i think they also have curriculum for young beginners that you can just purchase and follow.
russie

Unread post by russie »

Hi ya.. You can use Let´s go.. It´s a great coursebook. I use it with my young students.
philipchesney

Unread post by philipchesney »

Hello SpeedPro,
I hope I can help you with this matter. As you have realized, creating lesson plans for each class can take a huge chunk of your time. I created a teaching platform that has ready-to-teach lesson plans with exercises. You also have a grading system and are able to assign additional activities to your students. Please feel free to try it out. Click the link below to create your free login or access it via Facebook: http://www.englishkey.com/register.php?type=teacher
Please let me know if you have any questions at all. I will be more than happy to help you.
Happy Teaching!
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Syl »

Regardless the previous suggestions, I would try something created by me. There are so many things to do with kids at this age! You can use songs from YouTube, for example, there are tons of them teaching the ABC, numbers, and so many things! I would also teach them dialogues, easy ones, with "repeat after me", until they know them by heart. I would prepare flashcards with construction paper A4, with a word and a picture on each one of them, as new vocabulary. In short, there are endless activities and children never get bored with ready prepared exercises if the teacher uses his/her imagination. There are also games, that can be played orally, for example: (with gestures) "I spy with my little eye something that starts with ___(a letter). Is it a_____?" having taught previously the answers "Yes, it is" "No, it isn't", and so on.....
You can use a small erasable whiteboard (bought generally in toys shops) with erasable coloured markers and a sfog, drawing things and having them guessing them, etc.
The sky is the limit!