I don't know their language

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

IAmNew

I don't know their language

Unread post by IAmNew »

I have recently started volunteering at a local government school on Saturdays. I take 2nd grade at the moment. The problem is that I don't know their mother tongue and they barely understand English. In a class of 30 highly energetic and distracted students, fighting , jumping and basically not listening to a word I say, I am left dejected and burning my vocal chords out. I feel there can be a better way of handling this, but can't find a solution on my own.
1. How to maintain discipline in such a situation?
2. How to engage students in fruitful learning?
3. Links to resources, or things I can make. It's a low resource setting, with no internet connection or systems, english textbooks, colors etc.
4. Also the level of children is very different. Some able to read complex words, while others barely understanding the alphabet.
Advice on any would help me a lot.
Thanks
TheSTeam

Re: I don't know their language

Unread post by TheSTeam »

I feel you! I also teach Chinese kids and I don't speak a word of Chinese.
Believe me, I've been down that road until I learned how to keep control starting from the beginning of the class. I learned that students at this age are willing to follow rules, have a lot of energy but have short attention span and love rewards.
So the beginning of clasd is always fun, you tell them to do as you say, stand up, sit down, stand up, jump, do jumping Jacks, stop, sit down, quiet, clap, face the back, look to your right, to your left, turn around, freeze, repeat after me..... These are phrases that you will most likely use everyday in their class so they better be familiar with them. Not only they will enjoy these warm-ups put you will feel like you got back the control and order of the class. As for the lesson, since they are at a low level in English, introduce easy phrases and sentences to them first by you saying it and then tell them "repeat after me" then have individual students say it. Start from, hello, good morning, my name is...., I like to eat...., my favorite color is ....., body language is essential. Try to involve games and rewards. Always keep a smile and be friendly and you'll see the change right before your eyes.
This is just only some tips on how to get a better control of young primary schoolers.

Cheers,
Mr. S
IAmNew

Unread post by IAmNew »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I'lll try to include to include what you have suggested.
I've learnt that showing them videos specially those with songs of vegetables, fruits, body parts etc. gets them interested.
Also, I made flashcards for simple opposite meaning words like tall/short , cold/hot etc. That got them to associate picture with word, and learn 2 words at the same time by associating them as opposites. Also, flashcards could be used as quiz, as kids love guessing the correct answer.
atomato

Unread post by atomato »

1. For positive behavior, you can create a poster with simple and straight forward guidelines. Make sure you add images on there or print outs of what the guideline/rule represents. Avoid any negative commands, such as “do not scream” and give them a gentler feel, “use inside voices.”
2. Scaffolding will be your biggest friend!
3. There are many things online that will give you a directive on lesson planning for ELL 2nd grade.
4. Avoid grouping them from lower level reading to higher level reading. It will make a significant impact if you group them into heterogeneous or more flexible grouping. To keep children in lower levels groups to consistently tell them, they will never achieve anything more than that. Tracking will enviably equal to their destiny.