How could ESL Student become ESL Teacher ?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

Mr.Libyan
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

How could ESL Student become ESL Teacher ?

Unread post by Mr.Libyan »

I am ESL Student and my heart set with being ESL Teacher,could you tell me the best way to become an ESL Teacher.And how much does it take to be a successful ESL Teacher?
Kevin Vosper
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Kevin Vosper »

Dear Libyan

The first thing I would recommend is that you take an internationally recognised qualification in English teaching, otherwise known as a CELTA. This can be done either as an intensive four week course (and a warning, by "intensive" I really do mean "intensive"). Or as a part-time evening course over one academic year. There are many courses available either as taught classroom based or through distance learning. Personally, I am very happy with distance learning although some schools object to these qualifications. Whichever course you choose make sure it includes an observed classroom element even if the rest of the course is done through distance learning. This will equip you with the basic skills you need to teach English. It will also make getting a job much easier but what is important is not the piece of paper you can wave at employers at the end but the vital skills and abilities which will make your entry into the teaching profession much easier and enjoyable. If you contact the British Council they should have information on CELTA courses in your area.

If this is not possible try to get a copy of "Teach English-A Training Course for Teachers by Adrian Doff" (Cambridge University Press). This is a brilliant step-by-step guide for new teachers of English. Make sure you have the teacher's book not the student's one.

Teaching English is a wonderful career and I cannot imagine myself wanting to do anything else. However, it does take commitment and can be a little frightening at the beginning.

Best of luck and if you have any further questions please post them on this site.

Best wishes

Kevin Vosper
Mr.Libyan
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Mr.Libyan »

Thanks alot