Use of these and they

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

sreyoshi

Use of these and they

Unread post by sreyoshi »

Heyy all,

When exactly to use 'they' to indicate inanimate plural objects, and not use 'these?' For example, for the question 'Whose trousers are these?' should the answer be 'These are mine' or 'they are mine'? If 'they', then why? In other words when can 'they' be used as a demonstrative?

Thanks....

Sreyoshi
odyssey
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: Use of these and they

Unread post by odyssey »

The use of "these" implies vicinity and demonstrates the item under discussion. The questioner is close to the item. Almost by definition, the answerer cannot be as close. The parallel answer might therefore be "Those are mine" rather than "These are mine." But since there is no longer any need to be demonstrative, the answerer can use the neutral pronoun "they".
sreyoshi

thanks... :)
Kevin Vosper
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Kevin Vosper »

Dear sreyoshi

Just an extra point. "Trousers" is a plural noun (e.g. two) so "they" is correct. However, with singular nouns such as a pen the question would be, "Who's is this?" and the reply would be, "It is mine."

Kevin
sreyoshi

heyy Kevin,

yes, you are right about that...I was basically confused with the plural... :) ...but just another thing, why 'who's'? wouldn't that be 'whose'?

cheers....
odyssey
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread post by odyssey »

sreyoshi wrote:but just another thing, why 'who's'? wouldn't that be 'whose'?
You're absolutely right: it should be whose. But that's a very typical mistake that we (mother-tongue speakers) make, especially when fiddling around with lots of "quote marks" and thinking of things like it's or it is or its! Well spotted!

And Kevin makes a very good point about the singular.