Advice for teaching in Taiwan?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

Jaxplace

Advice for teaching in Taiwan?

Unread post by Jaxplace »

Currently, I possess a Diploma from the TEFL Corporation and a TEFL Corporation Teaching Certification, and have several years of teaching English. But, I do not have a degree. Am I still be eligible apply to teach in Taiwan? Is having a TEFL Diploma and TEFL Teaching Certification good enough? Please help!!!
Tan Milang

Re: Advice for teaching in Taiwan?

Unread post by Tan Milang »

:) Jax
Most schools require a degree. I know 2 teachers from South Africa who taught more than a year with "fake" diplomas before they were found out and sent home. I say most schools because there are agents in Taiwan who handle teachers with no diploma. They are illegal and can get your career messed up. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Tan Milang

Unread post by Tan Milang »

Hello, I thought since I am not the last word of authority on the subject of diplomas I would direct you to a useful Taiwan government office. If they don't know the answer to your question, at least they can direct you to the right place. Http://www.tainan.gov.tw or email Joe Ho directly at labb19@ms1.tainan.gov.tw. :o
ICAL_Pete
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

If you want to teach in Taiwan legally then you will require a university degree in order to get your visa. In lieu of a BA, an Associate degree with a TESOL/TEFL Certificate may also be accepted.
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by eric_p_m »

Dear Jaxplace,

I highly recommend that you get a university degree. For many countries, the field matters not, but if you wish to be respected in the TEFL field, you need to have credentials that back up your teaching abilities. You could be the best teacher in the world, but without a degree, you will not be able for advancement in your chosen career field.

In my experience, I have seen many English language training and bilingual schools that will accept you as long as you are a native speaker. If you have any training whatsoever, you would be even more welcome to teach with them. However, you would have visa issues and problems with the local police if your extended stay abroad is not official. Your local school should be able to extend your visa though up to three times and there should be various ways to extend your stay outside of academic reasons.

If you have further questions, feel free to open a secure chat window with me in my on-line school by clicking on the green "Live Help" button.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/