since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

Present Continuous or Future Simple

Questions from teachers about English grammar and usage

Moderator: Susan

PhilipPL

Present Continuous or Future Simple

Unread postby PhilipPL » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm not completely sure which tense I should use in a particular example. The context is like this:
You are spending a week with your penfriend from England at your home in Poland (the important thing is that everything has been planned before - the trip equals 7 days). He/she has already spent 3 days with you at your home in your country, and on the fourth day you are writing a letter to some other friend in order to tell him/her a bit about the guest and so on. Now here's my problem; namely, the sentences:

He arrived 3 days ago. He will stay 3 more days at my home.

Do you think that the Future Simple in the second sentence is ok? Or perhaps because everything has been planned before the trip, I should change it into the Present Continuous, so:

He arrived 3 days ago. He is staying 3 more days at my home. (The duration of the trip has been planned before the trip itself and therefore I assume that talking about the future with the help of the Present Continuous may be or even is correct.

Please let me know what you think.

Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Present Continuous or Future Simple

Unread postby Syl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi!

I would rather be doubtful between using "going to" instead of "will". This because both are frequently used equally and are interchangeable, and yet there is a rule:

- we generally teach our students that "going to" is used to talk about a planned activity, while "will" indicates that the action is being decided at the moment of speaking.

Anyway, I prefer to use whatever SOUNDS better :-)

Syl
Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com

PhilipPL

Re: Present Continuous or Future Simple

Unread postby PhilipPL » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Big thanks Syl!

Yeah perhaps I sometimes (actually too often) think too much about sth; as a result, the more I ponder on a particular question, the more complicated it becomes.

What sounds better in my example is "will" of course :-)

Return to “Grammar and Usage”