since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

Difficult Class

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Kiwi

Difficult Class

Unread postby Kiwi » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:00 am

Hi there. I have a new class of beginner students. One student however is already at an intermediate level and I don't have the option of moving him to a more advanced class. The problem is he volunteers answers constantly and now the other students rely on him to do all of the work. And also look to him for translations of vocabulary. Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this situation? All suggestions are most appreciated!!

Lynn
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Lynn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:50 am

Is it possible for you to make this talkative student a student assistant? Instead of allowing him to hijack the class, give him jobs to do in the class that will free up your time and actually benefit the other students.
Blessings <>< Lynn
Brighten the Corner Where You Are

cairogal

Unread postby cairogal » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:29 pm

I had the problem myself. I ended up creating alternative tasks for him that presented more of a challenge. If the other students were doing a book exercise on listening comprehension, I would create something for him (same content) at a higher level.

Ele

Unread postby Ele » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:29 am

When asking a question, first name the student to answer. Choose naming that advanced student only when others fail.

I also have been in a similar situation. The person is at a disadvantage because she/he cannot learn but has to help instead. But administration rarely cares, they mix students because there are no teachers. I hate it.

Ele
The sun sets, the sun rises.

Return to “ESL Teacher Discussion”