since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

can you give me a hand?i have no idea.

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

Summyzhang

can you give me a hand?i have no idea.

Unread postby Summyzhang » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:56 am

Hell, my name is summy. i am a chinese english teacher at Mapleleaf International School. I am a writing teacher now. A couple of days later, i have to hand in a teaching plan about "internatioanl eating". i have no any writing textbook in hand. more worse, i don't have any idea. what activities can i use? which grammar item should i teach? i am completely confused.
If you can give me a hand, i really appreciate.

Lynn
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Lynn » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:36 am

Summy, I am sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. I have been offline for a few days.

I hope you have managed to find something helpful by now. Your topic is not an easy one. Do your students have internet access? Can they do a google search for recipes?

You might have students find recipes and try them out. They could work together in groups to try cooking a recipe that they find in Google. Then they can write up how they did it and share the results with the class. Would class members be able to follow their instructions to cook the same food? Grammar could focus on giving instructions or description. They could also do a comparison/contrast - how this food is similar to or different from some common Chinese food.

You might have the class take recipes they find online and write their own cookbook. They would not copy recipes that they find, but would adapt them to the way they cook at home. The cookbook could include an introduction that would highlight the differences between Chinese and international cooking methods.

Hope you find some of these ramblings helpful.
Blessings <>< Lynn
Brighten the Corner Where You Are

Cristiane So

Can you give me a hand?

Unread postby Cristiane So » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi.

When I teach basic students food vocabulary I use lots of pictures. A good way to practice it is to talk about likes ands dislikes.

As a follow up you could have a snack with your students.

Hope you find your way.

Return to “ESL Teacher Discussion”