since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

Why is Englishclub.com banned in Mexico?

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Why is Englishclub.com banned in Mexico?

Unread postby eric_p_m » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:51 am

I just returned back home last week to the US after teaching a couple of English graduate courses for a Mexican university. I was amazed at when I tried to log into my account here and found that even the home page could not be found in Mexico. I wonder if the site is banned or just Englishclub's server in Mexico.

Better yet, does anyone know of any other countries in the world where Englishclub.com is banned or blacklisted? I used to teach in China for about six years and I would expect such behavior from the Chinese government, but definitely not from Mexico, given its geographic proximity to the US.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/

Joe
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Joe » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:33 am

As far as I know visitors are accessing from Mexico. There are several current posters at http://www.englishclub.com/esl-forums/ including one moderator located in Mexico, as well as several job posts from Mexico on the TEFL Notice Board (these forums). We have not blocked Mexico from the server.

Thank you for the heads up. It's always possible that there are localized problems (including the odd IP block), but in general it appears that users can access EnglishClub.com from Mexico.

I will check with our local moderator for more details.

I wonder exactly:
- where you were trying to access from (ie cybercafe, university...)
- What you were trying to access (forums or static pages)
- what the exact error message was

eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

banned or blacklisted?

Unread postby eric_p_m » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:25 pm

To whom it may concern:

I tried to access English Club's homepage directly from my computer, search engines, from other computers, the university there, coffee shops, and computer labs throughout the city. The city's name was Puebla, Puebla, Mexico. I know for a fact that I tried on at least four servers. Every time, I received a "Page not able to be displayed" error message. Before, I lived and worked in China for almost six years. Whenever I saw that page there, that meant that the Chinese government had banned a particular IP addresss, site, or even an entire server.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

Weibing
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Weibing » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:44 am

I can't help putting pen to paper again. I'd say Englishclub.com is my favorite - it's really an excellent site to improve English skills. Until now, I haven't noticed any political intention here at this website. So, how come you think the Mexican government could have possibly banned this website? It's most likely that something's wrong with your computer or the servers or something else. Maybe your mind is full of 'banned' - whenever you can't open a website, you could probably think it's banned.

eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

server problems in Mexico...

Unread postby eric_p_m » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:19 pm

I will be returning to Puebla in less than a week now and if I experience the same problem, I could let you know. How could I contact you if I can not view your web site? I know that I will be staying there until Halloween and I would like to continue reading and posting here.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

Return to “ESL Teacher Discussion”