since 1997, the world's premier FREE website for learners + teachers of English

Essay Writing

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Susan

cvmurrieta

Essay Writing

Unread postby cvmurrieta » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:49 pm

I will begin teaching essay writing to Korean teenagers starting this Saturday. The aim of these kids is to get good scores on the SAT to get into good American colleges.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips for teaching essay writing to non-native speakers of English?

I must admit that I do not know their speaking abilities. I know that they range in age from 14-18.

My boss gave me a book and a reading group guide to assist me. The title of the book is Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Any ideas are welcome
It's all just a performance, darling!

flower4ever

Unread postby flower4ever » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:52 am

ok
ur specialization is very good i have good & simple information but not know

i will be write it soon

thanks

Heads Up Eng
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Heads Up Eng » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:29 am

I've discovered that students in Japan don't have the ability to properly structure their thoughts in a written essay. Each class that I've taught has always had to include how to structure an essay. This usually means an overall look at essays, but with class sessions devoted to constructing effective introductions, conclusions, paragraph structure, etc. You may run into the same problem in Korea.

I haven't taught students specifically for the SAT, but it would make sense to take a look at one of the prep books teenagers use for this part of the test. I'm sure that there are examples of essays, as well as key information on writing. You might also want to consider using essays written by teenagers. Not too long ago, I thumbed through a book of essays for college entrance requirements. Your students may find these interesting, as they have been written by their American peers.

Just a few thoughts. Let me know how the course goes!

Chris Cotter
Heads Up English - Materials based on current events. Just print, and teach!
http://www.headsupenglish.com

Lynn
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread postby Lynn » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:31 am

Students in Hong Kong also want help preparing for the SAT, and they all have trouble constructing an essay. I teach international students, so the English level, while still ESL, is quite high. I have found the Writer's Inc. books quite helpful. You can find them at: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/103-0379852-8235019?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Writer%27s+Inc.&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
I suggest that you click on each book, then click on the customer's reviews right under the titles. That will give you a good idea of which book will be most suitable for your class. These can be a valuable resource in addition to the notes found in the SAT study guides, because the instructions are more complete.

Return to “ESL Teacher Discussion”