help!! present continuous

Questions from teachers about English grammar and usage

Moderator: Susan

Lakstar
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:22 pm
Status: New Teacher

help!! present continuous

Unread postby Lakstar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi all,
I desperately need your help. I have a student who has stumped me with a challenging sentence.

She wrote:
First we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents.

I am sure it's saring me in the face, but please tell me what is wrong with this sentence and why????!!
Thanks

juanron
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:06 pm
Status: Other

Re: help!! present continuous

Unread postby juanron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Lakstar wrote:Hi all,
I desperately need your help. I have a student who has stumped me with a challenging sentence.

She wrote:
First we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents.

I am sure it's saring me in the face, but please tell me what is wrong with this sentence and why????!!
Thanks

The sentence have no sense.


this have sense

we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents.

BCOMDave
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:38 am
Status: Other

Re: help!! present continuous

Unread postby BCOMDave » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

I'm no expert, but is it to do with the use if "first and "while" in the sane sentence so you have a disagreement in time?

juanron
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:06 pm
Status: Other

Re: help!! present continuous

Unread postby juanron » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:11 pm

I think
disagreement is between first and while

User avatar
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm
Status: Management
Contact:

Re: help!! present continuous

Unread postby Syl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 pm

juanron wrote:
Lakstar wrote:Hi all,
I desperately need your help. I have a student who has stumped me with a challenging sentence.

She wrote:
First we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents.

I am sure it's saring me in the face, but please tell me what is wrong with this sentence and why????!!
Thanks

The sentence have no sense.


this have sense

we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents.


Dear juanron, please use "The sentence has no sense", and "This has sense".

As for your question, Lakstar, here is my comment :)

"First we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents."

The word "while" asks for actions which occur at the same time, in other words, the last part should be also in the Past Progressive. The right way your pupil should write is: "We were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I was opening my presents". But remember, the Past Progressive is used to express actions that are in progress (hence its name, Progressive". I wouldn't use the word "first", if the intention is to express actions that occurred at the same time. "First" demands an action that occurred at a certain moment, and all the verbs should be in the Past Simple.

"First we ate cake and drank champagne, while I opened my presents".

I hope it helps! :)


Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com

User avatar
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm
Status: Management
Contact:

Re: help!! present continuous

Unread postby Syl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm

shayanjameel wrote:Use the Present Continuous with Normal Verbs to express the idea that something is happening now,


Hello, dear colleague.

What do you mean by "Normal Verbs"?

Thank you :)

Syl
Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com

Mimino
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:03 pm
Status: New Teacher

Re: help!! present continuous

Unread postby Mimino » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:11 pm

Syl wrote:
juanron wrote:
Lakstar wrote:Hi all,
I desperately need your help. I have a student who has stumped me with a challenging sentence.

She wrote:
First we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents.

I am sure it's saring me in the face, but please tell me what is wrong with this sentence and why????!!
Thanks

The sentence have no sense.


this have sense

we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents.


Dear juanron, please use "The sentence has no sense", and "This has sense".

As for your question, Lakstar, here is my comment :)

"First we were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I opened my presents."

The word "while" asks for actions which occur at the same time, in other words, the last part should be also in the Past Progressive. The right way your pupil should write is: "We were eating cake and drinking champagne, while I was opening my presents". But remember, the Past Progressive is used to express actions that are in progress (hence its name, Progressive". I wouldn't use the word "first", if the intention is to express actions that occurred at the same time. "First" demands an action that occurred at a certain moment, and all the verbs should be in the Past Simple.

"First we ate cake and drank champagne, while I opened my presents".

I hope it helps! :)


Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com



Syl,
"The sentence have no sense"
"this have sense"


Shouldn't it be "The sentence makes no sense" and "this makes sense"?
We're talking about inanimate things here and they cannot "have sense".

User avatar
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:06 pm
Status: Management
Contact:

Re: help!! present continuous

Unread postby Syl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 am

Dear Mimino,

You are absolutely right! If you use the word "sense" in an idiom, something that has a meaning that you can easily understand "makes sense". "Mimino, what you are saying makes sense." :-D

But when someone has good understanding and judgment, there is no doubt one should use the idiom "have sense" : "She had the good sense to leave the place".

However, what I was trying to say to juanron was: use the correct form of the Present Simple, 3rd person singular, verb "to have": something has. I confess I should have used another word instead of "sentence", which probably would let juanron confused. If a pupil in class makes a mistake in grammar, together with the wrong usage of an idiom, in my humble opinion the teacher should correct the grammar mistake, and avoid to do a whole lecture about the idiom. This should be taught separately.

Anyway, thank you for your comment, I appreciate that!

Syl :)
Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com


Return to “Grammar and Usage”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests