- What is Vocabulary?
- Ask Questions about Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Quizzes
- Vocabulary Games
- Word of the Day
Practical English vocabulary for topics such as:
- food and sports
- music and movies
- numbers and time
- holidays and festivals
- and many more topics, often with audio, video and quizzes
- plus illustrated A3 vocabulary posters
Lots of useful English words and phrases, including:
- slang and slang quizzes
- idioms and idioms quizzes
- synonyms and antonyms
- collocations list and collocations quizzes
- confusing words
- conversational phrases and quizzes
- doublespeak examples and quizzes
- euphemism examples and quizzes
- phrasal verbs and phrasal verb quizzes
- nouns that are countable and uncountable and quizzes
- list of eponyms and eponyms quizzes
- and much more, with example sentences, notes and quizzes
Parts of Speech
When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.' Humpty-Dumpty (Lewis Carroll)
More Vocabulary Resources
Vocabulary @ Joe's Cafe
Pretty much anything is on the menu.
The term Brexit entered the English language in the year 2012 and has since spawned many variants and alternative terms, most of them humorous.
7 Tips for Learning English Vocabulary
Follow these ideas and learn new English words more easily.
What do words like "gonna" and "wanna" mean?
Millennium - 2000 or 2001?
When does a century change?
e-ENGLISH IYKWIM ;-)
Internet abbreviations, codes and lingo
Vocabulary Games Online
Online matching games, jumbled games, hangman games to test your knowledge of words:
Recommended Vocabulary Links
- Essential British English (Cambridge Dictionary)
- Essential American English (Cambridge Dictionary)
- English Vocabulary at Wikipedia
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like 'What about lunch?' Winnie-the-Pooh