Illustrated Aircraft Vocabulary
Twenty common words used to describe parts of an airplane. You can download this image as an A4/A3 wall poster from our free ESL posters page.
Vocabulary in contextBelow, you see the words used in example sentences
- aeroplane: The aeroplane can carry up to 700 passengers.
- airplane: The airplane can carry up to 700 passengers.
- aileron: There is an aileron on the surface of each wing.
- cabin: The passengers were sitting inside the cabin.
- cockpit: The pilot controls the plane from the cockpit.
- elevator: The elevator helps lift the plane into the air.
- fin: The fin is the highest part of the plane.
- flap: The flaps help the plane to stay in the air.
- flight deck: The pilot controls the plane from the flight deck.
- fuselage: The fuselage is the largest part of the plane.
- hold: The luggage is stored inside the hold.
- jet engine: The airplane is powered by the jet engine.
- landing gear: The landing gear supports the plane while it’s on the ground.
- nose: The nose is the very front of the plane.
- rudder: The pilot uses the rudder to turn the plane.
- slat: There are several slats on top of the wings.
- tail: The tail helps to stabilise the airplane while it’s in the air.
- tailplane: The tailplane is situated at the back of the plane.
- undercarriage: The undercarriage supports the plane while it’s on the ground.
- wing: From my seat in the cabin, I could see the left wing.