What are italics?
Italics are a sloping kind of writing. The characters slope to the right, as you see here:
This sentence is in normal type.
This sentence is in italic type.
When to use italics
We use italics for several different reasons, including:
- Emphasis (like stress on a word when speaking):
It wasn't my fault you forgot the key!
- Titles of books, films, plays, poems:
Have you read War And Peace?
- Names of vehicles (ships, spacecraft etc):
Titanic sank in 1912.
Was Challenger a space ship?
- Referring to words as words:
The words a/an and the are articles.
Your sentence has the word important three times.
- Sometimes in novels, to show thinking:
He is so ugly, thought Tara.