Follow EnglishClub on X


Most writing that you see on a computer or mobile phone screen is called "type". Printed text such as in books, newspapers and magazines is also called "type". This kind of writing has some specific characteristics that we will look at in this section.

Type that slants to the right is italic.

Type that is heavier and blacker than normal is bold.

In the image below you can see three kinds of writing: 1) type, which we discuss on these pages; 2) typewriting, which is done on a typewriter (not very common these days); and 3) handwriting, which you probably do every day using a pen or pencil.
type, typewriting, handwriting