Have difficulty understanding spoken E, need some advice

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

hanami

Have difficulty understanding spoken E, need some advice

Post by hanami »

Hello all,
I connected to cable broadcasting service over a week ago. It provides very many channels of english and this is a great chance for me to listen to english everyday. But i got dissapointed. I can hardly understand what they say, meanwhile, there is no subtitle for most of the channels and programmes. Although i can feel a little better of my listening skill thanks to the programmes, i doubt that they can improve the skill very much. I convinced my mother to register to the service for my english improvement and now she doesn't seem to believe me anymore. Can you tell me if i should to continue the service and if yes what should i do for my studying to be the most effective?
happiness is something you can't foretell
ANDYTAN

Re: Have difficulty understanding spoken E, need some advice

Post by ANDYTAN »

hanami wrote:Hello all,
I connected to cable broadcasting service over a week ago. It provides very many channels of english and this is a great chance for me to listen to english everyday. But i got dissapointed. I can hardly understand what they say, meanwhile, there is no subtitle for most of the channels and programmes. Although i can feel a little better of my listening skill thanks to the programmes, i doubt that they can improve the skill very much. I convinced my mother to register to the service for my english improvement and now she doesn't seem to believe me anymore. Can you tell me if i should to continue the service and if yes what should i do for my studying to be the most effective?
HI. guy! as you know . learning english isn't a short time and maybe need you spend a long time to learn it ...above you mention that you learn and listen to the english everyday..that's good!!! why not keep going on..maybe it will be effect for you when you learning it day by day!!! :D it would be difficult frist and I believe that you will better of control it with you make great efforts... you don't doubt it ...trust me !! go heard !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SakuraGirl

Post by SakuraGirl »

As an English speaker, I found Japanese very difficult to hear/understand. Something that REALLY helped me was listening to Japanese music. When we sing we tend to enunciate more clearly and tend to draw out the words and syllables; thus, making it easier to hear.

I would suggest listening to English music. Music that isn't too fast and more lyrical. (Not rap, too fast.)