British English & American English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

chenxi

British English & American English

Post by chenxi »

:oops: I am a Chinese girl, and I am a freshman in university. My major is English. My teacher told us that if you really want to speak english very frequently,you'd better choose one kind,British English or American English .It is not so good for english major students to speak a fixture english.And my teacher also said that British english sounds better but it will be a little difficult to learn.
I want to improve my speaking English to a higher standard.So I want any of you to give me some advice.Should I try the British English or American English?Thank you very much. :roll:
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: British English & American English

Post by byron »

chenxi wrote::oops: I am a Chinese girl, and I am a freshman in university. My major is English. My teacher told us that if you really want to speak english very frequently,you'd better choose one kind,British English or American English .It is not so good for english major students to speak a fixture english.And my teacher also said that British english sounds better but it will be a little difficult to learn.
I want to improve my speaking English to a higher standard.So I want any of you to give me some advice.Should I try the British English or American English?Thank you very much. :roll:
What a difficult but interesting question. Anything that anyone tells you is bound to be biased. I can tell you this. If you speak British English you can always understand American English however the reverse is not always true.
American English is corrupted by the influence of so many nationalities that have emigrated there.
I have said this before, I will say it again as it cannot be emphasised enough. Accent is more important that anything. You can speak perfect English but if you have not developed a good South of England or an American accent then you will find people will have trouble in understanding. Chinese people have great difficulty in pronouncing the letter 'R' this often causes mis-understandings with native english speakers.
tqth
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by tqth »

If possible, why don't you listen much more to BBC World channel, buy an excellent dictionary of Oxford.It is usually updated .I think they will be very good tools for your improvement.And don't forget to learn the intonation of native speakers.