Which English do you want to be fluent in?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

riverclarin

Which English do you want to be fluent in?

Post by riverclarin »

This question is addressed only to those whose first language is not English.

I notice that many members here seem to assume that American English is the definitive English, some even correcting spellings from English to American.

Would it not be better if those learning English learned the English that is spoken and written in England (after all it is English!).

There are many differences, especially in spellings and pronunciation. For example, in most nouns with "ou" in them, words like "colour", "flavour", "favourite", the "u" is dropped in America.

Some common words even have different meanings, e.g: trunk, footpath, handbag, petrol, gas, candy, biscuit, pudding, flat, plaster, toilet, lift, rubber, motorway, jam, jelly, hood, solicitor, post, cinema, film, silencer, jumper, full stop, lorry, holiday, vest and many more.

I'm not saying that either one is better or worse than the other. I would just like to know which type of English you would prefer to be fluent in? :)
weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by weibing »

Any English will do.
weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by weibing »

Anyway, it doesn't matter which English you are fluent in. There seems to be just a little difference between BrE and AmE. An Englishman is most likely to understand an american well and vice versa. Maybe AmE is a bit more popular!
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

I think BrEng. However, I watched a TV news and tried to distinguish the way Bush and Blair express themselves in English. :) And I had come to a conclusion that the way Bush speaks is quite easy to understand rather than Blair's speeches.
yinkie

Very Interesting thread

Post by yinkie »

:lol:

So far this is a very very interesting Thread. I'll love to read more contributions, I'll be back shortly to read your observations :)
weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by weibing »

I've been learning English for ages. Here I'm referring to both BrE and AmE - maybe also other Englsih. When I use English, I'm rarely aware which English I'm using. But someone points out we should stick to one version - it isn't a good idea to mix the two.
sanjadz
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by sanjadz »

It`s all the same to me.I pay attention to both American and British English,and want to be familiar with their differences as well as similarities.The only problem is,i sometimes mix British English up with American English,and vice versa.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Any English

Post by Bambang »

Dear all.

I like listening to British English programs.

It's easier to catch American English programs than the British one. So, to improve my listening skills, I listen to British English programs more than American one.

I like speaking in American English.

To me, American English is more familiar with Indonesians' tongue.

Universally speaking, both are equal.
InLove
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by InLove »

If you have an opportunity listening Singlish,trurst me, it's terrible. :evil:
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

InLove wrote:If you have an opportunity listening Singlish,trurst me, it's terrible. :evil:

Why do you think so?
maksoora

Post by maksoora »

I prefer British eng coz I feel it is more stander than American eng
zaman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by zaman »

i preffer to watch and leasten to the english programs and in my school we are learned B.english
skorpion

Post by skorpion »

I am fluent in American English... I've always liked it.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Bambang »

skorpion wrote:I am fluent in American English... I've always liked it.

Welcome. Keep posting. You could improve other EC members' English.
hedwig14

Post by hedwig14 »

guys, don't confuse yourselves with Brit English and American English. But to say which is better is very relative.
Brit English is spoken in England and I guess in its neighboring countries. While American English is spoken in America and countries who were influenced by America. I believe American English is more popular maybe because of the impact of America to the world, in general. Here in the Philippines, we were taught the American English but, we don't neglect Brit English.
I guess you were right when you said American English is pronounced easier than Brit. I'd agree to that. I can be fluent in American English but I find it hard to be fluent in Brit English. You may think there's some superiority here. But it really depends to where you are situated right now.

And by the way, although both of them is english, there are words that may have the same meaning but are different. Like in American English it is condo, in Brit English you could equate that in flat. And ofcourse, the "ou" and "o" thing.

To end this post, personally I find Brit English fascinating for its difficulty and I really like the pronunciation. But I'm afraid to learn 'coz you know what in Britain, language is a very high thing. Your level in the society is determined by how you speak. Try to watch My Fair Lady. But if you want to converse well with others I think American English would be the best tool for you.