What's the meaning of "And so it would go" here?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

kuolun

What's the meaning of "And so it would go" here?

Post by kuolun »

Perhaps from his delight at working under deadline pressure, he would always present my copyedited paper to me at breakfast, about an hour before I had to be at school. There it lay, beside my plate, marked-up with squiggles, circles, and STETs--the arcana of the trade known mainly to professional editors. At a glance it looked like my poor essay had fallen overnight into the hands of prehistoric cave painters.

“All right, let’s start at the top,” Dad would say, in a friendly tone. “The title is interesting, but it doesn’t really have much to do with what follows, does it?”

“Doesn’t it?”

“No. Don’t make the reader work too hard. Draw the person in. Don’t confuse him right away.”

“I suppose not....”

And so it would go.

He would point out places where I had committed serious stylistic errors: writing sentences that began with long dependent clauses (“Don’t keep the reader waiting for the meaning.”); using a strident, hectoring tone (“Alienate the reader by preaching and you’ll never get him back.”); babbling on about something irrelevant (“The worse thing you can have a reader say is, ‘So what?’”).
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: What's the meaning of "And so it would go" here?

Post by Tukanja »

And so it would go
~
That's the way of how it would go (was going on) day by day. :roll:

if not, .. :oops:
dngipson

Re: What's the meaning of "And so it would go" here?

Post by dngipson »

It starts out saying that this was a situation that happened all the time. So, she's recounting what happens each time. By saying "and so it would go" she's saying "and that's how it would always happen".