EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Are exams a waste of time?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

exams

Postby wonki » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:47 am

:shock:

Hey i have been shocked,,,,,,
how can exams be a waste of time!!
The exams show how well you study for a particular period of time. There could be plenty of ways that can prove your level.
But, i do not think there is none as good as exams.

The homework or assignment cannot be the way of criticizing students' level because other people outside of school can help students secretly.

But how about the exams? everyone is doing exams on the same day, same time. Most of all, students have to study for the exams, unless they want to fail.

thank you for reading~~!
wonki

Postby Dale » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:43 pm

exam is a waste of time in Hong Kong
orianted educational system is the cause of such problem
students have their nose in the book and they have no idea on the things around them. Their own job is to memorize all the things and write that things in the exam paper
It's meaningless!
they don't know how useful of the knowledge and how can they use it in their daily life.
Would you mind to talk with a student?
Dale

Postby Honey » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:23 am

Hi!

:lol: Exams, exams, exams... They're useful to measure, in certain extent, your competence in any area. Depending on how they're designed, they can let you test your ability or, on the contrary, make you go nuts. :P

That's why I agree with you, Dale: the educational system of our countries could change radically our concept about exams, studies and homework.

It also depends on how you take it: as a challenge, or a trouble. There are different aspects that change our mind about exams :D , including the teacher, the subject, the topic and the number of questions (which usually is large)! :evil:

Another interesting question would be
Are exams a friendly actiity to waste time? :roll:

I'm sure the answers would be partial, as well.
Honey
Silver Member

what you make of it

Postby cassie » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:56 am

Exams, as any part of studying whether it be another language or another topic, are an essential part of finding out how much you really know and have learned from the course. If you don't like them, it may be because you haven't made the most of your opportunity to learn that subject. What's the point of trying to learn something if you aren't going to do a check once in a while to see if you really understand what you've been trying to learn?

Would you bake a cake and then not bother to find out if you made a cake that tastes delicious by never eating it? :?:
Merry meet,
Merry part,
Merry meet again!
cassie

We agree with your opinions!!

Postby konomi&peter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:33 pm

:D Hi Deanna
We found you!!!! :lol:

We think the exam is a small matter in our whole life :!:
Sometiomes we need to take exams, so we have to check our ability oursleves. :twisted:

We think University enterance exam is a waste of time because we only have to memorise a lot of things that don't need in our future. After exam, we forgot everything. :lol:

We have to find another methods to enter University, especially in Asia countries. We think the important thing is what we want to study in University. :P
konomi&peter

Re: We agree with your opinions!!

Postby cassie » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:38 pm

konomi&peter wrote:
We think University enterance exam is a waste of time because we only have to memorise a lot of things that don't need in our future. After exam, we forgot everything. :lol:

We have to find another methods to enter University, especially in Asia countries. We think the important thing is what we want to study in University. :P

I agree with you there. Taking a test to get into university doesn't make sense. If you are only memorising information that is otherwise unnecessary, why are you taking the test? A better way, I think, is to look at all of your grades when you are in high school. When you are already in university, though, I think exams for each class are very useful. :twisted:
Merry meet,
Merry part,
Merry meet again!
cassie

Re: what you make of it

Postby SeungAsami » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:39 pm

cassie wrote:Exams, as any part of studying whether it be another language or another topic, are an essential part of finding out how much you really know and have learned from the course. If you don't like them, it may be because you haven't made the most of your opportunity to learn that subject. What's the point of trying to learn something if you aren't going to do a check once in a while to see if you really understand what you've been trying to learn?

Would you bake a cake and then not bother to find out if you made a cake that tastes delicious by never eating it? :?:

We agree with you because taking exams are necessary to know how much we really know and have learned from our classes.
However,exams make us very nervous and stressful.Sometimes,we have to do many things all day and stay up all night....
Some of students care about exams too much!!
For example in Korea when students fail the exam for entering University, sometimes they suicide. It's so terrible!!
Exams are important but we think the progress is the most important thing.Teachers should not care only about exams.
SeungAsami

Re: We agree with your opinions!!

Postby SeungAsami » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:47 pm

konomi&peter wrote::D Hi Deanna
We found you!!!! :lol:

We think the exam is a small matter in our whole life :!:
Sometiomes we need to take exams, so we have to check our ability oursleves. :twisted:

I agree that most students forget evrything after taking exams!!
It's true.We study hard just for exams.
After that,it's easy to forget because we concentrate to mark good scores.
SeungAsami

Re: Exams are Important & Necessary

Postby konomi&peter » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:57 pm

rocely wrote::D Hi, everyone!
I think exams are important to know your level :!:
You know, all of the students hate exams,
but if there were not exams, how can we measure our ablities :?:
Yes, I know test time is hard to stand because we are sometime nervous and have to saturate new information.

There is an easy way to take exams :!:
If you prepare a little part everyday, you can be ready for your final test :!: :!: :!:

You're right!!!!
If We study constantly, we can take gooood! score what we want, but the problem is that we don't like study everyday :twisted:
konomi&peter

Postby Rodrigo Klassen » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:34 am

in my opinion, it's not exactly a wast of time. but many times it's not fair with the students. it's necessary to create new ways to know how much the student have learned where the teacher participate more of the learning process having a better knowledge about the student level.
there's no space here to write everything i wanted
Rodrigo Klassen

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion