EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Are left-handed people disadvantaged?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby brianmiller » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:26 am

I'm right-handed, but I golf left-handed and I am definitely at a disadvantage when trying to buy gof equipment, especially here in Japan. You can find any brand or model club you want if your righthanded, you can try out the club if you want and often there are great bargains to be had. But there is a very limited selection of lefty stuff, which you can't try and is almost never on sale.

Boo Hoo! :cry:
brianmiller

Postby MissLT » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:34 am

Interesting. I can't remember I goft with my right hand or left hand. :? I think I do it with my left hand. I think I do swing shots with my left hand. :? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby vahid » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:33 pm

Hello every body . i just enrolled in this site so as a start i selected this topic .
well in my opinion being left handed or right handed doesnot have any bad effect on people s life .
but some sientist belive that left handed live longer than right handed . :D
vahid

Postby iwantmore » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:06 pm

No at all if they know how to use with it :D .
People can get over difficulties if they all have encouragements ,right?
iwantmore

Postby r1lita » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Hi everybody :D

If let-handed people are desadvantaged? No, I dont thinks so. I'd rather say allmost of the genius are left handed and more other it's harder to guard on left-handed players than right-handed ones (talking about basketball and sports in general).

I got a left-handed homie and he seems not to be bothered :roll:
r1lita
Gold Member

Postby pencil » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:44 pm

i am not sure whether there are differences about ability or mentality between left-handed and right-handed people. in my classes, some left-handed pupils learn really well, the others not. this is similarly right to the right-handed classmates.
from those fachts we should neither estmate nor underestimate one just on the basis of which hand he uses to write.
in the class we used to discuss this topic.my teacher said no,she doesnt find anything strange from this action. although she has taucht for over 30 years.
my teacher is a open women, she doesnt interest herself for that, but always for how you learn
my parents believe all we receive today is result of what we hard trained yesterday without depend on the left ot right hand.
what is about your opition?
pencil
Silver Member

Postby shadds » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:07 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote: My husband was left handed. When he was a school he was forced to write with his right hand. He is now right handed.

I used to write with my left hand, but then I was forced to write with my right hand in school. That teacher was horrible. I remember whenever she turned to other students, I would change back to my left hand since I had to put extra effort to write with my right hand, and it was extremely hard for me. Once time she caught me doing that; she told me if I ever did that again, she would have to chop my left hand off. Can you believe a thing some teacher would say to a six-year-old kid? I dislike teachers who are like this from that day on. She made my first grade sucked :x . All I could remember about it is she would chop my left hand off if I didn't write with my right hand.
Also, I remember coming home crying to my mom, and she wasn't really helpful. Gosh, she told me to learn to write with my right hand since I didn't know how to write with my left hand as much as my right hand; therefore, it wasn't that much of a difference. I was so mad. I refused to go to school the next day, but she dressed me up and took me to school that day.

Shazzam wrote: I personally don't think it makes any difference;

Well, in biology, they don't link the differences between left and right hand with our personality and skills since we don't have many proofs; however, there is definitely a change to the way the brain would set up if one is left-handed and is forced to use the right hand. Not much of a change, but there is a change. It's like people who have lost their hands, so they learn how to use their feet. Well, switching from right to left hand won't make that dramatic change, but it will somehow change something inside the brain, don't you agree?

Shazzam wrote: but I have noticed that most people that are right handed have neater hand writting :? .

See, in Vietnam, teachers hold first-grade students' hands and teach them how to write. If a student was left-handed like me and the teacher was right-handed, then it would be really hard for them to hold the student's hand to show that kid how to write correctly. This is the reason why my teacher forced me to use my right hand since she was right-handed. The first time she saw me using the left hand, she told me I was holding the pencil in the wrong hand. After looking at me holding the pencil with my right hand (I couldn't barely hold it), she said I was left-handed and I had to learn how to write with my right hand because left hand was not a correct way to write :roll: .
At home, parents hold their kids' hands to show them how to write, I think. And if you were left-handed, one of your kids would definitely be left-handed; thus, if you were forced to use the right hand, it would be hard to teach the kids how to write neatly and correctly. As a result, you would force your kids to write with right hand or they had to be on their own. Either way, they'd be on their own.

I have read somewhere that if a left hander is forced to use his right hand or vice-versa the person starts stammering or sluring while speaking.. and it is certain natural functioning of the brain that makes any boby righ or left hander...
shadds

Postby MissLT » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:43 pm

I didn't have that problem. I speak and pronounce my native language pretty well.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby shadds » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:19 am

LennyeTran wrote:I didn't have that problem. I speak and pronounce my native language pretty well.

OK dear LennyeTran
But what i was quoting was the result of some statistical analysis.
shadds

Postby MissLT » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:46 pm

That I don't know much about it, but I think it only happens when there is a dramatic change. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a big effect. Let me check around to see, so I could exchange facts with you. :wink:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion