EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

asking about causative object

English grammar help. Grammar questions from ESL learners

Moderator: Alan

asking about causative object

Postby googl » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:02 am

Excuse me, how do I should ask for the object in the causative "have sth. done" construct? If I will just reverse, there will some a question identical to the perfect object question: I will have sth. done and I will have done sth. How should I ask not to let ambiguity? Thanks in advance.
googl
Silver Member

Postby Alan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:42 am

Both are objects, but the second construction (will have done smth.) is not causative, since the object in a causative construction always precedes the past participle.

Does that answer your question?
Alan
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

causative object asking (continued)

Postby googl » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:27 am

I meant: how should I ask for this? If I would say "What will I have done?", will it mean asking in Future Perfect or in Future Simple Causative? How should I ask for the other one?
googl
Silver Member

Postby Alan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:49 am

There's no difference in the written form of the question, so the same words could represent either construction. When spoken, however, the two would be distinguished in that, in the future perfect construction 'done' would be stressed, while in the causative, 'have' and 'done' would be equally stressed.

In analytical terms, in the future perfect construction, 'what is the object of 'have done', whereas it is the object only of 'have' in the causative, with 'done' standing in a complemental role.

I hope that answers your question!
Alan
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Return to Grammar Help