Pilot Guides

Talk about travel, tourism and your holidays.

Moderator: EC

Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:You're not as weird as you think, Merce. There are plenty of people out there who would agree with you. I am one of them. I have to watch movies in its original dialogue with the exception of cartoons. It's just some of us humans who are too lazy to read subs or can't read, for that matter. (I'm not talking about your mom, btw. :wink: )
Well, I think I am weird because none of the people I know personally would agree with me (except my classmates in college, obviously :D ), since they do not speak other languages besides Catalan and Spanish.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about "Pilot guides"? *raising eyebrow*
we should do something about the lack of emoticons here really.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Lalee wrote: we should do something about the lack of emoticons here really.
I know!!!!
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

violet wrote: Dixie mentioned that she thought Mao is ugly. But for me, or maybe for most Chinese older than 35, we never thought of whether Mao is good-looking or ugly. We just thought he is great.
I thought you knew I was kidding :roll: :lol: Who am I to talk about other people's appearances... I've got mirrors in my home, you know :lol: :D Anyway, I was just trying to joke with our guide, and told him that I thought Mao was ugly. I thought the guide would laugh, or at least smile, but he stared at me like, this woman's crazy :!: That's why I asked you if I had, in any way, offended him :D
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Dixie wrote:I thought you knew I was kidding :roll: :lol: Who am I to talk about other people's appearances... I've got mirrors in my home, you know :lol: :D Anyway, I was just trying to joke with our guide, and told him that I thought Mao was ugly. I thought the guide would laugh, or at least smile, but he stared at me like, this woman's crazy :!: That's why I asked you if I had, in any way, offended him :D
Lol, you're so humble!

Dixie, I thought you would know better than that! It's a big no-no to visit a country and criticize its political leaders. You've been very bad! In Thailand, you could be thrown in jail for stepping on money that has the king's portrait.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Violet, thanks for letting me understand a little on how Chinese people think of Mao, however, I just wanted to know what you felt when Megan said those words. For those who haven't seen it, this is what Megan says:

"From that balcony on October 1st, 1949, Mao Zedong stood and announced the People’s Republic of China. He uttered these famous words, 'China has risen.'"

Now, if I was living on the mainland and I heard Mao say that, I would be beaming with pride. Even when Megan quoted him, the look on her face looked as if she was proud for the Chinese. Of course, that's only my speculation. :P But because I am only Chinese by ancestry and have never been associated with China, I can only be proud for the Chinese people. 8)
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Here are some questions you guys can answer:

1 - To you, what are the highlights of Ultimate China?

2 - Did you not like anything?

3 - Which ethnic minority do you find more interesting - the Akha, the Miao, or the Hakka?

4 - What's the grossest thing you saw being eaten?

5 - What do you think of the trekkers?

And Violet, how accurate were the trekkers' Chinese pronunciation?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote: Dixie, I thought you would know better than that! It's a big no-no to visit a country and criticize its political leaders. You've been very bad! In Thailand, you could be thrown in jail for stepping on money that has the king's portrait.
I know, I guess I just forgot it was a different culture, my sin was to think everybody had a sense of humor :lol:
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Unknownsu wrote:Here are some questions you guys can answer:

1 - To you, what are the highlights of Ultimate China?
Umm...

2 - Did you not like anything?
I liked one of the hosts. :oops:

3 - Which ethnic minority do you find more interesting - the Akha, the Miao, or the Hakka?
Umm...

4 - What's the grossest thing you saw being eaten?
Anything really. I'd eat any of that without thinking it twice. 8)

5 - What do you think of the trekkers?
The guy was so cute. What's his name again?
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

About Arctic Canada
I really enjoyed watching this episode. Ian was so funny there.
Funny parts:
*I can’t believe he asked the girl who was singing and playing the guitar to shut her mouth.
*When he was pretending to pee in one of the buckets.
*Him acting like a seal.
*When he’s reading the newspaper and commeting about a puppy that got kicked and he’s like, “I’ll find out who did it” with a cute look. LOL
And there is more!

And among the people who already watched it, what do you think about the eskimo’s song? Isn’t it creepy? I was like, “what the..” when I started to hear it. It was very scary.
One of my friends was online and I asked him to listen to it and he gave me a "wtf?" LOL It was like one of the women was moaning or something but in a very odd way. When I first heard, it sounded as if a pig was moaning.
:shock:

It seems that Ian had a great time in Canada. At the end he said that he'd prefer the weather from there.
I can’t believe that people live in areas where they can freeze. It’s so cold there. I thought that no people live in Yellowknife. I thought that it was an isolated town or something but I was wrong.

It was a good episode. Maybe I liked it better than others because of the snow everywhere?
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Lalee wrote:And among the people who already watched it, what do you think about the eskimo’s song? Isn’t it creepy?
I wouldn't say it was creepy. I just didn't think it was captivating.