EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

About Bible

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MissLT » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:38 pm

Tora wrote:not so long time ago I took a survey, it uncluded fifty-something questions concerning my viewpoints and beliefs, those ones eventually were to define what religion suits me... It turned out I'm very close to buddhism :D
I'm young to determine it, it will come one day or not...

I took it as well (probably not the same test, I guess), and it turned out I wasn't a Buddhist but a spiritual person. I found it "insulting" because I was darn sure I was a Buddhist. :lol: :lol:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Oriani » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:40 pm

Dixie wrote:
Oriani wrote: We all believe in God anyway !

Who's "we"?

Christian.... why???
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Dixie » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 pm

Oriani wrote:Christian.... why???

Oh, I thought by "we" you meant "everybody" and I was just going to comment on that... sorry :D
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby TuanAnVu » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:37 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:
illusion wrote:I'm also a catholic but I don't really read the Bible.
Then you are probably a Catholic but not a Christian.
It is up to you to study scripture......not your priest!

Catholics are Christians in a sense. You all believe in Jesus Christ.

I'm also a Catholic. Could you help me distinguish Catholics and Chirstians?. Hic, I wondered this question for a long time but I haven't any chance to express it. I expect your reply. Thanks.
TuanAnVu

Postby MissLT » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:09 pm

TuanAnVu wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
danyet wrote:
illusion wrote:I'm also a catholic but I don't really read the Bible.
Then you are probably a Catholic but not a Christian.
It is up to you to study scripture......not your priest!

Catholics are Christians in a sense. You all believe in Jesus Christ.

I'm also a Catholic. Could you help me distinguish Catholics and Chirstians?. Hic, I wondered this question for a long time but I haven't any chance to express it. I expect your reply. Thanks.

Vietnamese, right? Catholic is nguoi Cong Giao and Christian is nguoi Tin Lanh. I think you know the difference, right?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby TuanAnVu » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Vietnamese, right? Catholic is nguoi Cong Giao and Christian is nguoi Tin Lanh. I think you know the difference, right?

I know the difference between Cong Giao and Tin Lanh. But Christian means Co Doc Giao as we translate it into Vietnamese. I don't know about Co Doc Giao. Please tell me the simplest thing to realise it.
TuanAnVu

Postby MissLT » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:04 pm

Co Doc Giao is different. Christianity means dao Thien Chua, which means all branches believe in one God and Jesus Christ even though they have their differences. Christians (in general term) are people who believe in Christ. That's why I said I don't really see the differences between Catholics and Christians.

Never mind, cross the first two lines out. I didn't know Christianity means Co Doc Giao in Vietnamese. I just called it Thien Chua Giao.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby vince90 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:34 pm

May be I am wrong but to me “Co Doc Giao” and “Tin Lanh” are the same. Just another way to cal "Tin Lanh". The different between "Cong Giao" (Roman Catholic) " and the others is “Cong Giao” believes in Virgin Mary and the others don’t,. The priest in "Cong Giao" not allow to married but the others do.
vince90
Platinum Member

Postby Danyet » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:02 pm

The reason Many Christians don't call Catholics "Christian" is because the Catholic Curch started in Rome, some 300 years after the first Christians appeared, at the time of Constantine who adopted Christianity as Romes state religion, where it became corrupted.

These Catholics introduced a mixture of pagan and Christian beliefs into their new religion. Some of these things were the introduction of the pagan holy day Sunday as the new day of worship instead of Saturday.
Easter.
Lent.
Christmas.
And the worship and praying to Mary and saints.

All of these things have roots in the pagan world.

Catholic priest also claimed to be able forgive other people's sins and actually charged fees for the "service". They also forbid the people to read the Bible and only the Priests were allowed to have a copy of the Bible. (Very few priests had copies of the Bible and even less had read it!) Regular people were killed as heretics for reading the Bible in those days.

Catholics also claim that their Pope is Christ's representative on Earth and that therefore the Catholic Church is the only authoritive body on Earth. For this reason the Catholics slaughtered an estimated 50 million innocent men women and children during the Inquisition. Many wre horribly tortured or buned alive, some were burned so slowly that it could be said that they were slowly cooked to death.

Fortunately in the 16th century during "The Reformation" people began to read the Bible for themselves and began to break away from this evil church.

These reasons and more are why Catholics are not considered true Christians by many. After all, who, after knowing all these things about the Catholics, would anyone want to stay in that religion?

Even so, there are many good poeple who are Catholics. I just don't know why they remain in such a church!
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby shigore » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:06 am

I want to ask you one question?
did you read the holy koran?
shigore

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions