EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What makes people do so much shopping these days?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 am

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby MissLT » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:01 am

Their lives are getting better, so they like to have more trash in their houses.... :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby r1lita » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:34 pm

I got the same idea, for them life is getting better but it's not the case everywhere.
The influence of internet is also considerable, it eases your shopping.
r1lita
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:51 pm

r1lita wrote:I got the same idea, for them life is getting better but it's not the case everywhere.
The influence of internet is also considerable, it eases your shopping.

Ebay! (for instance) :twisted:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: What makes people do so much shopping these days?

Postby Dixie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:11 pm

TP wrote:What makes people do so much shopping these days?

What do YOU think?

Tradition. Just because it's a tradition :evil: Yesterday I came accross a friend on the street and she said she was desperate, she had to buy presents for 20 people!!!!! And didn't know where to start. It's crazy these days.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby wllsp » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:04 pm

As for Russia the answer is simple - people are more well-off than they used to be in 80's and 90's. Oil and metals are expensive and revenue from their export is huge. That results in better salaries for many Russians and they can afford spending lots of money.

Besides plenty of supermarkets have been built here in large cities and it has become easy to do shopping. I even think that appearence of supermarkets changed the way we buy. One just takes a shopping cart, walks around a huge shop and buys whatever they see.

Finally there is another thing that contributes to increase in spending here in Russia but it is rather negative. For last five years real estate prices have increased significantly. As a result even if a family belongs to the midlle class and is quite well-off it often can't save enough money to make a down payment for a property. So they are made to put off buying real estate for a while and as a result have more money to spend on food and other things.
wllsp
Gold Member

Postby Hardi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:34 pm

The more unhappy u are, the more u need to pollute. The more u pollute the more unhappy u are.

The whoole marketing nowdays is build up for pollution. They make products that don't extend more than noted in warranty. It's amazing what ~ they produce. Of course they do better things too, but then they have "pro" in front of name and increased price. Sometime seems it is worked hard to make good thing worst..

But main reason why people buy is that they are depressed. they don't know how to be happy.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

what makes to do shopping so much

Postby Lac » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:33 am

Do shopping is a kind of entertainment. Of course, people could puchase anything they want through a great deal of diversified services on the internet and they just stay home to order materials they require. However, doing shopping has another significant meaning in which the customers can pratically touch, see, watch all of the necessary stuff in the sale . In addition, the atmosphere in the market itself is still something that attacts buyers to call at.
But i dont think doing shopping would be pervasive if man was busy all the time. As said above, you have lots of reasons to order anything at home instead of going out.
Some of you say it's the better life that makes people going much more shopping. Correct! And also it's a well-to-do life that enables people tie them up with interest in their own business rather than shopping.
Anyway, doing shopping is an amusement for meetings, talks. On my part, however, oh i dislike going shopping . That's the duty of my wife. :lol: :lol:
Lac
Silver Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Yeah, like my uncle when he first came to the States two years ago, he bought anything he could buy with his first paycheck. After a year, he started to sell them to others since he didn't have enough space in his room and didn't need them at all. Now he's started to realize he only needs to buy what he needs, not what he doesn't need even though it is cheap.

Things are more affordable then it was before; therefore, people tend to buy what they don't even need-- it's the case of Ebay products or garage sale, I believe. That's why they sell them to others with cheaper price. And people who couldn't afford the original price can now buy those products. Henceforth, the shopping circle keeps going. [Yell out: I love shopping, by the way!] :twisted:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Laxuan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:48 pm

I think shopping isn't suitable for me, it's a waste of time to walk around for many hours just to buy
clothes, jewelry, or something like that. My mother or my girlfriend often do this for me.
Laxuan
Silver Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion