Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Britain abandons its American colonies

Post by Josef Essberger »

The following comment was received from Luis, a learner of English in the USA:
Funny how the site says that in 1782 "Britain abandons its American colonies." Should read, Brits were sent a packin' with fannies to match their coats.

http://www.englishclub.com/english-language-history.htm
Albeit, the term "abandon" has an honourable history as synonym for Rome's 5th-century retreat from Britain ;-)
seanhcthsn

Re: Britain abandons its American colonies

Post by seanhcthsn »

Josef wrote:The following comment was received from Luis, a learner of English in the USA:
Funny how the site says that in 1782 "Britain abandons its American colonies." Should read, Brits were sent a packin' with fannies to match their coats.

http://www.englishclub.com/english-language-history.htm
Albeit, the term "abandon" has an honourable history as synonym for Rome's 5th-century retreat from Britain ;-)
That's true the Brits were sent a packin! Happy 4th of July. Happy learning to everyone.
MattGreen

Post by MattGreen »

Nice! Yes, I would say letting the British off the hook by using the term 'abandons' definitely does not accurately reflect what took place. I believe a bit of a struggle took place before the Red Coats just volutarily packed up their stuff and "abandoned" the colonies...I could be wrong ;)
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Josef Essberger »

It's really all down to the age-old inability of Americans to understand (British) understatement. There's an important language point in there somewhere.
English Prepositions List by Josef Essberger
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero