Passenger clearance with an e-boarding pass

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Shanica

Passenger clearance with an e-boarding pass

Post by Shanica »

An immigration department has rolled out at the airport a self-service passenger clearance which includes the scanning of the e-boarding pass. If this service is to be named with an emphasis on the part of the e-boarding pass, does passenger clearance at the airport with an e-boarding pass or e-boarding pass clearance service at the airport sound clear enough? Or are there better ways to name the service?
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Passenger clearance with an e-boarding pass

Post by Josef Essberger »

Shanica wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:56 pm An immigration department has rolled out at the airport a self-service passenger clearance which includes the scanning of the e-boarding pass. If this service is to be named with an emphasis on the part of the e-boarding pass, does passenger clearance at the airport with an e-boarding pass or e-boarding pass clearance service at the airport sound clear enough? Or are there better ways to name the service?
airport eboarding pass clearance ?
English Prepositions List by Josef Essberger
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero
Shanica

Post by Shanica »

Joe wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:10 am airport eboarding pass clearance ?
Would the service be taken as boarding pass control instead of passport control by this name?
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Shanica wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:34 am
Joe wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:10 am airport eboarding pass clearance ?
Would the service be taken as boarding pass control instead of passport control by this name?
Yes, I think so. There is no reference to passports here and in fact I hadn’t even thought of passports.

Since you mention “boarding pass control”, which sounds totally natural, why not just call it:

eboarding pass control

or perhaps

electronic boarding pass control

Perhaps I am misunderstanding something but control sounds more idiomatic to me than clearance. Presumably “clearance” is not automatic since a passenger could potentially be denied.
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero
Shanica

Post by Shanica »

The service is actually passport control with the checking of e-boarding pass included. It is hoped that by the name, a passenger is reminded that during the procedures, he is also required to scan his e-boarding pass.
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Shanica wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:05 am The service is actually passport control with the checking of e-boarding pass included. It is hoped that by the name, a passenger is reminded that during the procedures, he is also required to scan his e-boarding pass.
So “eboarding pass clearance” sounds reasonable.
Shanica

Post by Shanica »

How about "e-boarding pass passenger clearance"?
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Shanica wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:15 am How about "e-boarding pass passenger clearance"?
Perfect
Shanica

Post by Shanica »

As the service is provided at the airport, how about "airport e-boarding pass passenger clearance"? Would it sound odd?
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Shanica wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:38 am As the service is provided at the airport, how about "airport e-boarding pass passenger clearance"? Would it sound odd?
It’s not wrong but just seems redundant. It’s at an airport already, and everyone knows that a boarding pass is for boarding a plane (at an airport). But your decision of course :-|
Brave

Post by Brave »

Shanica wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:38 am As the service is provided at the airport, how about "airport e-boarding pass passenger clearance"? Would it sound odd?
Have to agree with Joe. Sometimes the more information you give the less clear things become.

However, without seeing the exact setup it's difficult to be sure. Perhaps there could be confusion about passengers boarding the airport trains, or maybe a ship at the airport? But since you say they are going through passport control (at the airport) it seems likely that the boarding pass is for a plane. I guess you might have some international trains in the vicinity?? That's why it really depends on the exact setup, and only you know that. :)
Shanica

Post by Shanica »

The name is used as the title of an infographic to introduce the service. I searched for the definition of boarding pass and since it can also mean a card a passenger uses to board a ship, I thought it might be clearer to indicate that it is an airport service.

Perhaps the word "airport" can be used to indicate that it is the boarding pass for air travel? I found that "airport boarding pass" is used as a noun phrase, like in this article (https://www.police.gov.sg/media-room/ne ... g_pass_apd), though this usage does not seem common. But I cannot find the usage of "airport e-boarding pass".
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Shanica wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:43 am The name is used as the title of an infographic to introduce the service. I searched for the definition of boarding pass and since it can also mean a card a passenger uses to board a ship, I thought it might be clearer to indicate that it is an airport service.

Perhaps the word "airport" can be used to indicate that it is the boarding pass for air travel? I found that "airport boarding pass" is used as a noun phrase, like in this article (https://www.police.gov.sg/media-room/ne ... g_pass_apd), though this usage does not seem common. But I cannot find the usage of "airport e-boarding pass".
In the context that you describe (infographic) “airport e-boarding pass passenger clearance” seems very plausible. Whether it is boarding pass or e-boarding pass is immaterial grammatically. For precision and to avoid confusion, “e-boarding pass” seems better.