Trouble with translation from Dutch to English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

RoseNL

Trouble with translation from Dutch to English

Post by RoseNL »

Hi, mijn naam is Rose and I’m new here. I’m having trouble with a Dutch sentence that I want to translate into English. Which sentence is better, 1 or 2, or are both sentences incorrect?

1. ‘Shame’. It's a story I started writing from my own pain two weeks ago. I prefer not to look at it, because a few sentences that don't flow well, with some annotations here and there, my enthusiasm to encourage others have reduced to a writing task that I dread.

2. Shame’. It's a story I started writing from my own pain two weeks ago. I prefer not to look at it, because a few sentences that don't flow well, with some annotations here and there, have reduced my enthusiasm to encourage others into a writing task that I dread."
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Trouble with translation from Dutch to English

Post by Josef Essberger »

RoseNL wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:25 pm Hi, mijn naam is Rose and I’m new here. I’m having trouble with a Dutch sentence that I want to translate into English. Which sentence is better, 1 or 2, or are both sentences incorrect?

1. ‘Shame’. It's a story I started writing from my own pain two weeks ago. I prefer not to look at it, because a few sentences that don't flow well, with some annotations here and there, my enthusiasm to encourage others have reduced to a writing task that I dread.

2. Shame’. It's a story I started writing from my own pain two weeks ago. I prefer not to look at it, because a few sentences that don't flow well, with some annotations here and there, have reduced my enthusiasm to encourage others into a writing task that I dread."
IMHO 2 is better. But questions remain. For example, what does “from my own pain” mean? “from my own painful experience” perhaps??
English Prepositions List by Josef Essberger
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero
RoseNL

Post by RoseNL »

@Joe,

Thank you! And yes, it should be painful experiences.
Brave

Post by Brave »

RoseNL wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:39 pm @Joe,

Thank you! And yes, it should be painful experiences.
Two weeks ago. Is that when you a) started writing or b) had the painful experiences? It's ambiguous. You could fix it like this:

a) It's a story I started writing two weeks ago from my own painful experiences.

b) It's a story I started writing from my own painful experiences OF two weeks ago.
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Josef Essberger »

Delete comma before "because".
English Prepositions List by Josef Essberger
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero