No
3%

Total votes: 30

Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Computers Vs. Books

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

They say that our generation is interested in computers more than books….
Do you agree?
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

for me, it is half VS half
Usama

Post by Usama »

Hmm..

For your Question
Do you agree?
I think yes (absolutely)

But about your poll Question
i answered by "No"
Because i considered that you mean the major activity (Computer or Reading)
I am really interested in computer more than anything else.
That's not mean that i donna read books at all. :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Computers Vs. Books

Post by MissLT »

Miss. Ladybird wrote:They say that our generation is interested in computers more than books….
Do you agree?
What about reading books online? Isn't that reading? Or listening to audio books online? Isn't that better? So the new generations are occupied with books even more than the old generations if you think about it.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I read books constantly, I love literature. Although I must say that when there's a computer around I RUN to it and leave my books behind :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Yeah that's a problem...
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

Dixie wrote:I read books constantly, I love literature. Although I must say that when there's a computer around I RUN to it and leave my books behind :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Yeah that's a problem...
me too. just can't help it. I name it "pc-sickness" :lol: :lol: :lol:
slashworld

Do agree.

Post by slashworld »

Almost every day, I spent over six hours to use computer. Without computers I can hardly work and live regularly.
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Dixie wrote:I read books constantly, I love literature. Although I must say that when there's a computer around I RUN to it and leave my books behind :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Yeah that's a problem...

The same happens to me :oops: :oops: But yes I really enjoy reading (when my PC is turn off)
Mina

Post by Mina »

Miss. Ladybird wrote:They say that our generation is interested in computers more than books….
Do you agree?
No, I don´t. I usually turn on my computer on Weekeds and Sundays out of when I feel like writing or doing sth that I need a little help from my pc.
And between a book store and a computer store, I would choose a book store.
:)
Mina

Post by Mina »

LennyeTran wrote:
Do you agree?
What about reading books online? Isn't that reading? Or listening to audio books online? Isn't that better? So the new generations are occupied with books even more than the old generations if you think about it.
Reading books online is great!!! But I don´t think that listen to them instead of reading is better.Reading is someting, Listening is other thing completely different.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Mina wrote: Reading books online is great!!! But I don´t think that listen to them instead of reading is better.Reading is someting, Listening is other thing completely different.
If you have tried those audio books, you would see it's the same as reading although the techniques are different, Mina. some people like to read books all time. For instance, my boyfriend buys audio books, so he could listen to them when he's on the business trip or doing yard work. It's hard to hold a book when you're in the middle of something, but it doesn't mean you can't read a book. Thus, hear someone reads the book to you.
For me, I usually borrow books with tapes at the library to hear how they read the books while I'm reading them at the same time. Although it slows my time down, I think it's quite fun to do.
Mina

Post by Mina »

LennyeTran wrote:
Mina wrote: Reading books online is great!!! But I don´t think that listen to them instead of reading is better.Reading is someting, Listening is other thing completely different.
If you have tried those audio books, you would see it's the same as reading although the techniques are different, Mina. some people like to read books all time. For instance, my boyfriend buys audio books, so he could listen to them when he's on the business trip or doing yard work. It's hard to hold a book when you're in the middle of something, but it doesn't mean you can't read a book. Thus, hear someone reads the book to you.
For me, I usually borrow books with tapes at the library to hear how they read the books while I'm reading them at the same time. Although it slows my time down, I think it's quite fun to do.
This your idea of listening while you are reading is a good idea. I will try to read that way too :)
But I keep saying: books must be read , not listened to. For instance, one friend of mine has decided to listen to a book by a cd instead of reading it and my teacher was completely against his attitude.She said:" I wonder how far technology will stand on the way".Plus when you read, you enrich your imagination.Reading you learn a lot of things that you wouldn´t if you just listened to! Listening you only know the story of the book,nothing more.Listening to books is useful for busy people like your boyfriend.
I am sorry but it is not the same with different techniques.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Mina wrote: For instance, one friend of mine has decided to listen to a book by a cd instead of reading it and my teacher was completely against his attitude.She said:" I wonder how far technology will stand on the way".Plus when you read, you enrich your imagination.Reading you learn a lot of things that you wouldn´t if you just listened to! Listening you only know the story of the book,nothing more.Listening to books is useful for busy people like your boyfriend.
I am sorry but it is not the same with different techniques.
For that bold part, I must say I don't agree with your teacher. Although books must be read, listening to someone reading a book or you or you're reading it is basically the same thing. Whichever way you're doing, your imagination still will go as far as it could. It's because that person is just reading a book, whatever is in that books, just words; they can't draw pictures of what is happening in that book for you. You're the one who have to do it yourself. It's like when you're listening to someone telling you a story or you're reading that story. If that person tells you exactly the same words like when you're reading that story, you'll be thinking the same thing, don't you think? Or you might think different each time (as we all do), but either way is still good. None of them is better than the other.
And of course, it's not the same with different techniques since how could you get the same result for different things? It's like apples and oranges. However, we don't say apples are better than oranges or vice versa, right? :wink:
Mina

Post by Mina »

For that bold part, I must say I don't agree with your teacher. Although books must be read, listening to someone reading a book or you or you're reading it is basically the same thing. Whichever way you're doing, your imagination still will go as far as it could. It's because that person is just reading a book, whatever is in that books, just words; they can't draw pictures of what is happening in that book for you. You're the one who have to do it yourself. It's like when you're listening to someone telling you a story or you're reading that story.
ok, ok. You are right about the imagination thing.But only about that part.You learn more things while reading than listening.This is something that we should discuss at other forum. However, what´s the difference between you listen to a soup opera on the radio and listen to a book?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Mina wrote: However, what´s the difference between you listen to a soup opera on the radio and listen to a book?
To be truthful with you, I don't know the answer since I never listen to soap opera on radio. I don't like soap opera especialy American ones. They're boring to me.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

I've already said, it seems me, my opinion about it in another topic.

If you are knowing me well, you won't have difficulty to guess my position. :mrgreen:

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

yeah reading is so much better than computers. I like the both things but nothing can replace a good book in bed before sleep, can it?:p
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

oh but that's not a bad thing. Everyone has right to drink sometimes.. I'm going to read a book by a russian writer Fiodor Dostoyevski. sorry i dunno how to spell it. ;p
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

To be honest, I'd rather read an entertaining book instead of doing nothing on the computer. There are bunch of books available for everybody and it gives you the oppotunity to open your mind. For sure, you can't compare books to computer, they both are helpful and both help you to pick up many knowledges. I used to go on the computer 10 hours per day, putting stuff onto it and was fed up with using inefficiently my spare time. Now, let's say I prefer hanging out with my mates and spending my time outside.
Ciano

Post by Ciano »

illusion wrote:oh but that's not a bad thing. Everyone has right to drink sometimes.. I'm going to read a book by a russian writer Fiodor Dostoyevski. sorry i dunno how to spell it. ;p
I love to read books and surfing on the Web! :oops: There is no limit to learn. I prefer read books about the humanistic people, for example, Gandhi. And psicology too.
It's fantastic to know different people!
:wink: Best,
renzjen

Post by renzjen »

I also love both.. (reading and surfing the net)
Rui
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rui »

i would be lying if i say that i prefer book's to computers, of course i like the both things and i think one is not against the other, a computer it's much more necessary in now days than a book, but as i read here is a pleasure to read a book when you have some free time and you want to be out of technological world, i like to read a book alone in my room with the tv and the computer turned off
Ciano

Post by Ciano »

Rui wrote:i would be lying if i say that i prefer book's to computers, of course i like the both things and i think one is not against the other, a computer it's much more necessary in now days than a book, but as i read here is a pleasure to read a book when you have some free time and you want to be out of technological world, i like to read a book alone in my room with the tv and the computer turned off
I agree with you! I think that are two complementary actions and emotions. :lol:
Ciano

Post by Ciano »

Do you agree?
I believe that the two actions are complementaries, I couldn't live without them. :lol:
trinity19

Post by trinity19 »

i just love internet cuz i think it's a huge source of enterteinment: you can watch tv, listen to music, read the press...but reading books through internet isn't so extended and i think it looses part of its charm so i'd have had a problem if i had have to choose, luckily i didn't have to! 8)
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

i value and prefer both.. books..i think i just love seeing my collection on a mini library than just surfing on the net for an online read..it has become my collection already.. but that doesn't mean that i'm not into computers..we're living on an era of computers and technology.. so i guess it's just a matter of time depending on the suitability of both in a situation.. :wink:
Pearla

Post by Pearla »

Well, for me I like reading and I like computer as well, but when it’s come to reading I prefer to do that from books rather than computer, specially that it’s not healthy for your eyes to spend hours in reading from computer. For me I found it more interesting and restful to read from the book rather than the computer.
SleepyTear

Post by SleepyTear »

Reading a book is much cheaper...

I am a middle school student of China.
Maybe you can't imagine that getting on-line costs me a lot of money while reading a book is much cheaper. My family can't afford a computer and I have to go to a Internet Cafe where most people play games.
You know what? Surfing the Internet is banned in our school...Silly? I just broke the rules without any consideration. Maybe I am not a good student... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Above all, I read a book most of the time and I think one day computers will replace books.Why not?
RL

Post by RL »

though i have used computer for several years,but i still feel strange of reading in computers,
for reading texts, i choose books instead of computers.
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

People r more intrested in computers than in books.
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..