how to improve english?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: how to improve english?

Post by ProfessorVerb »

svforumer wrote:Poor English really keep me from any career advancement here in USA and I saw many poor foreigners end up as a lifetime brain slave in this country just because of poor English. I feel the biggest problem for me is I can't express my ideas freely. I think it is because there are not engouh amount of reference sentences in my mind. Probably this is can be improved by memorizing some good sentences....
The highlighted sentence is a very colorful and imaginative expression. I would suggest that you are well on your way to your goal of achieving a high degree of fluency in English. The other members in here will have more insight into the utility of memorizing some standard sentences, but I would suggest that this approach is only good for things like, "Where is the bathroom, please? and "I'll have another beer, please." If you memorize sentences, you might sound mechanical in your speech and writing and this probably would not help your cause.

A heard a famous writer (I can't remember which one) once say that the only way to become a better writer is to read voraciously so you are clearly on the right track in this regard. I would recommend finding some American authors that you like (Mark Twain comes readily to mind for this purpose) and just get a feel for how the language is used. A "lifetime brain slave" is a clear indication that you have learned a great deal about English already ...

Good luck and keep posting -- the folks in here are wonderful about helping others learn.
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: how to improve english?

Post by Dixie »

ProfessorVerb wrote: A "lifetime brain slave"
I had never heard this expression before. I like it 8) Thanks folks!
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Find people which you can speak english with.

Forget english.

Make a research 'improve' on the forum.

Read the already existing discussions on this part of the forum.

If you can, go to any english-speaking country.

Listen to the radio on the web (search with google 'radio' or 'cnn' or any radio of one country that interests you).

If you have really no possibility to use these ways :mrgreen: , keep posting on the forum. [Don't become forum-addicted.]

There is not only english in the life. :lol:

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
tohir

help each other with english

Post by tohir »

i would like to know abot the exppression,which is called"Lifetime brain slave".What does it mean,if somebody knows that please explain me in simple English.thanks. :?
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

Yes Tohir,

If you don't speak English, you can't get around in an English speaking country. You will depend on those who will speak for you. If you are clever enough and what you do can bring real money, there will always be a lot to offer their services in getting around for you, instead of you.
To cut a long story short, you'll do all the intellectual work but will have to share the money with those who will just speak for you. And your share will always be much less than the one you deserve... than the share of those you slave for. There will be somebody to suck from you. And you will brainslave to feed parasites.
Some people for who learning a foreign language is difficult (it does become difficult with age; and those who feed on your difficulties will never want you to get rid of them) and have, for some reason, to live in an English speaking country, have to slave all their lives.

I hope this helps.
Smiles,
GiddyGad