IN WHAT WAYS DOES SPOKEN ENGLISH DIFFER FROM WRITTEN ENGLISH

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

AnDre

IN WHAT WAYS DOES SPOKEN ENGLISH DIFFER FROM WRITTEN ENGLISH

Post by AnDre »

It is undeniable that written and spoken English vary quite dramatic. There are a number of ways and a number of reasons why the way in which we transcribe language and we voice it different. The progression of spoken and written language take places at contradictory rates and as a result the English spelling systems is inefficient..!Heheheh! :D

SuGgEstion?! :?:
hi....!
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: IN WHAT WAYS DOES SPOKEN ENGLISH DIFFER FROM WRITTEN ENG

Post by ProfessorVerb »

AnDre wrote:It is undeniable that written and spoken English vary quite dramatic. There are a number of ways and a number of reasons why the way in which we transcribe language and we voice it different. The progression of spoken and written language take places at contradictory rates and as a result the English spelling systems is inefficient..!Heheheh! :D

I enlisted in the U.S. Army to become an artilleryman in 1971, but the government saw fit to train me as a stenographer. Learning how to take Gregg shorthand emphasized the phonetic basis for the English language, and I quickly realize I could use Gregg shorthand to record any language; however, transcribing it back was the problem.

You are absolutely right. Nonverbal communications involve an enormous range of subtle clues and physical nuances that simply not available in the written language (witness the emergence of emoticons of this purpose: :lol:

In the spirit of "You must walk before you can run," learning the written language would appear to represent a good first step to better understanding the spoken version but I'm not good with languages otherwise, so the others in here would likely have more insights about this particular issue.
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Many people talks much and don't write much.

Some people write much and don't talk much.

A very small proportion of people do both regularly.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Kirbo

Re: IN WHAT WAYS DOES SPOKEN ENGLISH DIFFER FROM WRITTEN ENG

Post by Kirbo »

AnDre wrote:It is undeniable that written and spoken English vary quite dramatic"ly". There are a number of ways and a number of reasons why the way in which we transcribe language and "the way" we voice it "are" different. The progression of spoken and written language take places at contradictory rates and as a result the English spelling systems "are" inefficient..!Heheheh! :D

I've quoated and bolded sections of your paragraph that I corrected in order the make it sound more natural, and some simple corrections in speech =P