Beauty Salon English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

persembe

Beauty Salon English

Post by persembe »

Hi!

I'm a newcomer teacher of English and I'm going to give a lecture on "Hairdressing & Skin Care/Beauty Salon English" at a vocatioanal high school. I'm planning to make use of sample dialogues in the lessons for the students to gain practice. If anybody could give me any addresses on the internet about the subject, I would be grateful.

Thanks already!
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Beauty Salon English

Post by ProfessorVerb »

persembe wrote:Hi!

I'm a newcomer teacher of English and I'm going to give a lecture on "Hairdressing & Skin Care/Beauty Salon English" at a vocatioanal high school. I'm planning to make use of sample dialogues in the lessons for the students to gain practice. If anybody could give me any addresses on the internet about the subject, I would be grateful.

Thanks already!
This site might help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_10812_make-small-talk.html

The English Club maintains a similar page:

http://www.englishclub.com/speaking/small-talk_wh.htm

Good luck with your presentation.

Thanks!

Post by persembe »

Thanks a lot for your support but I need sample dialogues and beauty salon jargon.

Thanks anyway.
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

Beauty salons are scary places where wise men do not tread. What is said in there will remain a mystery I'm afraid.

Hi, I'm sure this can help you....

Post by galactica »

Hi there, I'm pretty sure this will help you a lot....

Beautician: Hi. How can we help you today?

Customer: Yeah. I'd like to get my hair trimmed a little. Nothing fancy. Just a basic trim.

Beautician: Well, can we interest you in today's special?

Customer: Um . . . No . . .

Beautician: We'll shampoo, cut, and style your hair for one unbelievable low price of $9.99 (nine ninety-nine). Plus, we'll give you a clean shave and a back massage to help you relax.

Customer: We'll I don't know. I don't have much time, and . . .

Beautician: Best service in town!

Customer: Okay, I'll have the complete service today, but as I said before, I just want to get my hair trimmed. A little off the top and sides. That's all. I mean, that's all.

Beautician: No problem. Relax. You're in good hands. Okay, here we go. Now, how does this work?

Customer: Huh? Wait. You know what you're doing, right?

Relax, sir, relax. I've been doing this for 10 [cough]. [Ten what?] Sit back and relax. So, what do you do for a living?

Customer: I'm a lawyer, specializing in workplace accidents, and I'm in town for an interview for a new job, and . . .

Beautician: Oops.

Customer: What do you mean oops. Hey, can I see a mirror?

Beautician: Nothing to worry about, sir. Relax. I'm just making some adjustments to the hair trimmer. There we are. Okay . . .

Customer: Ouch. That hurt. What are you doing?

Beautician: Nothing to worry about, sir. Relax.

Customer: That's what you just said a minute ago, and look at all of my hair on the floor. How much are you really cutting off? And where's a mirror?

Beautician: Oh. And time for the shampoo. Just lean back, and we'll wash your hair away.

Customer: You mean what's left of it?

Beautician: Relax. [Your favorite word . . .] Relax.

Customer: Hey, you got shampoo in my eyes. I can't see.

Beautician: Relax, sir, relax. I'm almost finished.

Customer: Yeah, just wait til I get finished with you!

Beautician: Okay, now let's dry your hair, put a little styling jell in it, and now style it with a blow dryer, and brush. voila!

Customer: Hey, what happened to my hair? You butchered it! And what's left of my hair turned purple. What kind of prank are you trying to pull here? Are you even a licensed beautician?

Beautician: Well, sir. We offer a money-back guarantee on all our work, so if you're not completely satisfied . . .

Customer: Satisfied? I'm anything but satisfied. I want to talk to the manager . . . now!

Beautician: I'm sorry, but he's on vacation, and he left me in charge, so if you . . .

Customer: How in the world am I supposed to go to a job interview looking like this? Forget it, forget it. Is there anyplace in this town that can give a decent haircut and fix the damage?

Beautician: Well, my brother works next door, and he offers a complete package for . . . .

Customer: I know, nine, ninety-nine. I've had it. Forget I even asked.

beauty parlour
beauty salon
noun

1. A place where women may go for beauty treatments such as hairdressing, facials, make-up, manicure, massage, etc. US equivalent beauty shop.
vocabulary words:hair spray
curling iron
blow dryer
shampoo
conditioner
nail clipper/ emery board
nail polish
nail polish remover
mascara
foundation
face powder
loose powder
eye shadow
eyebrow pencil
emery board
comb
hair gel
talcum/talc powder
hot oil treatment
wax treatment
scissors
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

I told you it was a scary place...

RE:

Post by galactica »

Yeah, you're right, and I'm growing my hair though....LOL :P Well....I love scary places, esp with scissors, knives, and anything sharp. not blunt.