state of the art????

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

awrang

state of the art????

Post by awrang »

what is (state of the art) and (to whom it may concern) are these idioms,expressions or words i never know the exact meaning of thess complicated words??? and in which cases we can use these? if you are able then tell me ... i will appreciate it...
:wink: :?:
Awrang Zaib Taraki
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: state of the art????

Post by ProfessorVerb »

awrang wrote:what is (state of the art) and (to whom it may concern) are these idioms,expressions or words i never know the exact meaning of thess complicated words??? and in which cases we can use these? if you are able then tell me ... i will appreciate it...
:wink: :?:
"State of the art" (I think this is an idiom) means the best of anything that is currently available. "DVDs are state of the art"; The space shuttle used to be state of the art, but it isn't anymore."

"To whom it may concern" is a generic greeting (expression) that can be used on a letter when the recipient's name is unknown; alternatives include "Dear Sir or Madam," or "Dear Sirs and Mesdames."

Great

Post by awrang »

Thanks one world from you Proffesor... that is what i wanted................... :D :D :D :D
Awrang Zaib Taraki
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: state of the art????

Post by Dixie »

ProfessorVerb wrote: "State of the art" (I think this is an idiom) means the best of anything that is currently available. "DVDs are state of the art"; The space shuttle used to be state of the art, but it isn't anymore."
I was explained the meaning of "State of the Art" at some point when I was in college, and I could never fully understand what that meant. Thank you for your explanation, Professor ;) Although I am still a bit confused about the term.
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by ProfessorVerb »

A definition and a few more examples might help clarify the meaning of "state of the art."

First, the term has nothing at all to do with art as in artwork such as paintings. Webster's says the term means "the level of development (as of a device, procedure, process, technique, or science) reached at any particular time usually as a result of modern methods"; used as an adjective, it is "state-of-the-art."

Second, some examples:

"Dixie's brand-new computer had all of the bells and whistles and was really state of the art."

"Computers are improving so fast these days, I used to own a state-of-the-art computer, but that was last month."

and finally,

"The hospital's medical equipment was state of the art, and it was renowned for its innovations in heart surgery."

I hope those helped our state-of-the-art Keeper of the Board ...
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Wow... I got it at last! :D Thank you so much, professor! You're just brilliant.
Kirbo

Post by Kirbo »

ya, usually state-of-the-art is the latest, and most recent =D