can you help me?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

kuyingsha

can you help me?

Post by kuyingsha »

19. I was confused about this sentence :?: now people write to ask for his advice both before and after they go under the needle”. Is “go under the needle” is a idiom?
kuyingsha

can you help me ?

Post by kuyingsha »

20. Could you help me to understand the sentence? If you are tired, grab some Z’s.
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: can you help me?

Post by byron »

kuyingsha wrote:19. I was confused about this sentence :?: now people write to ask for his advice both before and after they go under the needle”. Is “go under the needle” is a idiom?
I think this may mean people seek advice before they have an injection to put them to sleep. As in an operation.
KenW

Re: can you help me?

Post by KenW »

kuyingsha wrote:19. I was confused about this sentence :?: now people write to ask for his advice both before and after they go under the needle”. Is “go under the needle” is a idiom?
There is a common idiom "go under the knife" that means "to have surgery". "The doctor just told Joe he has a tumor, so he will go under the knife tomorrow."

I think "go under the needle" is a clever variation that the writer just made up, and it means to have a tattoo or body piercing performed.
KenW

Re: can you help me ?

Post by KenW »

kuyingsha wrote:20. Could you help me to understand the sentence? If you are tired, grab some Z’s.
There is an old convention in comic strips. When a character is sleeping the artist draws several Z's coming out of their mouth. The phrase "grab some Z's" means to get some sleep.