sentences in WOULD as an expression of willingness

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

wingedfish

sentences in WOULD as an expression of willingness

Post by wingedfish »

Hello, dear teacher,
I am looking for sentences in WOULD as an expression of willingness. But this WOULD should be in the past situation. For example, I got a sentence for myself:
He demanded to raise their daughter among people who would accept her as one of them.
Can you give me other sentences like that, please?
And by the way, I need american sentences.
FireFoxy

would (be willing)

Post by FireFoxy »

These examples use American English and are fairly informal. I am a native English speaker from the United States.

====

If you are trying to form a sentence that uses "would" to describe willingness, the easiest thing to do is form a larger sentence with "would be willing to" and see if that sentence makes sense.

Example 1: I would (be willing to) go to the movie with you even though I do not like scary movies.

Example 2: He said he only wants to raise the child among people who would (be willing to) accept her as one of them.

Example 3: Would you (be willing to) walk my dog when I am on vacation?

------

The context of the sentence can slightly change the meaning of "would." Sometimes it asks about or expresses someone's willingness or preference. Other times it points out that someone failed to perform a promised act. "Would" is also used in conditional statements.

Example 1: Carl's little sister asked "If I clean your room for you today, would you take me to the zoo tomorrow?" (This example uses "would" to ask about willingness after the pattern of the previous examples above.)

Example 2: Carl promised his little sister that he would take her to the zoo. (Without greater context, we must assume that at some point Carl DOES take his sister to the zoo. He's using "would" to confirm a promise.)

HOWEVER

Example 3: Carl promised his little sister that he would take her to the zoo, but he went to the mall with his friends instead. (As you can see, "would" describes here a thing which didn't actually happen, and places emphasis on that failure).

Example 4: The next day, his little sister cried, "You said we would go to the zoo!" (Here something that was expected but not received is described).

----

Lisa would be willing to pay for half of the gas if you drive her to the mall. (Here the use is conditional -- this person will only pay for the gas in the car IF the car is being used to drive her to the mall.)

Tomorrow, would you mow the lawn for me? (Here the expectation of the person asking is that the person who answers will actually do what is asked or else honestly refuse).

Would you prefer chocolate cake or vanilla cake on your birthday? (Here the cake being discussed may not ever be made. Only general preference is being discussed.)

I hope that helps.
Bambang
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: would (be willing)

Post by Bambang »

FireFox wrote:These examples use American English and are fairly informal. I am a native English speaker from the United States.

====

If you are trying to form a sentence that uses "would" to describe willingness, the easiest thing to do is form a larger sentence with "would be willing to" and see if that sentence makes sense.

Example 1: I would (be willing to) go to the movie with you even though I do not like scary movies.

Example 2: He said he only wants to raise the child among people who would (be willing to) accept her as one of them.

Example 3: Would you (be willing to) walk my dog when I am on vacation?

------

The context of the sentence can slightly change the meaning of "would." Sometimes it asks about or expresses someone's willingness or preference. Other times it points out that someone failed to perform a promised act. "Would" is also used in conditional statements.

Example 1: Carl's little sister asked "If I clean your room for you today, would you take me to the zoo tomorrow?" (This example uses "would" to ask about willingness after the pattern of the previous examples above.)

Example 2: Carl promised his little sister that he would take her to the zoo. (Without greater context, we must assume that at some point Carl DOES take his sister to the zoo. He's using "would" to confirm a promise.)

HOWEVER

Example 3: Carl promised his little sister that he would take her to the zoo, but he went to the mall with his friends instead. (As you can see, "would" describes here a thing which didn't actually happen, and places emphasis on that failure).

Example 4: The next day, his little sister cried, "You said we would go to the zoo!" (Here something that was expected but not received is described).

----

Lisa would be willing to pay for half of the gas if you drive her to the mall. (Here the use is conditional -- this person will only pay for the gas in the car IF the car is being used to drive her to the mall.)

Tomorrow, would you mow the lawn for me? (Here the expectation of the person asking is that the person who answers will actually do what is asked or else honestly refuse).

Would you prefer chocolate cake or vanilla cake on your birthday? (Here the cake being discussed may not ever be made. Only general preference is being discussed.)

I hope that helps.

Thanks, Danyet.
It helps in deed.