any brilliant gramaticists out there?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

FrankyGood

any brilliant gramaticists out there?

Post by FrankyGood »

when talking about plastic surgery (for example).
We say, " a nose job, lip job, eye job."
BUT WHY ISN'T IT, "eyes job, lips job."???????
Buddhaheart

Re: any brilliant gramaticists out there?

Post by Buddhaheart »

When you use a noun as an adjective attributively, you usually form from its singular. Other examples are ‘computer (not *computers) room ’, ‘face (not *faces) job’, ‘art (not *arts) institute’. There’re of course examples like ‘communications (not *communication) course’, ‘arts (not *arts) degree & ‘savings (not *saving) account’ and they mean something else.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

Buddhaheart wrote:When you use a noun as an adjective attributively, you usually form from its singular. Other examples are ‘computer (not *computers) room ’, ‘face (not *faces) job’, ‘art (not *arts) institute’. There’re of course examples like ‘communications (not *communication) course’, ‘arts (not *arts) degree & ‘savings (not *saving) account’ and they mean something else.
Thank you very very much...This is great!!! :)
esl member since 2007
expectorsmith
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by expectorsmith »

Buddhaheart wrote:There’re of course examples like ‘communications (not *communication) course’, ‘arts (not *arts) degree & ‘savings (not *saving) account’ and they mean something else.
Then what do they really mean? What's the difference between 'communications course' and 'communication course'?

Many thanks!
FrankyGood

Post by FrankyGood »

Thankyou Buddhaheart.

Your answer will help me to explain it better :D .

I realised later the nouns were being used as an adjective to describe the job, and it's only 1 job, right?

Thanks again!
Buddhaheart

Post by Buddhaheart »

Actually, no. The word ‘communications’ means methods of sending information; a system for sending and receiving messages, as by telephone, TV or radio, computers, or roads & railways; the art & technology of communicating. A communications (not *communication) course is such a course. A communications (not *communication) satellite is one that is used for radio and television communication (not *communications).

P.S. Please remember I’m no brilliant grammarian. I’m just a poor teacher trying to help.
FrankyGood

Post by FrankyGood »

Thanks again buddhaheart.

I'm sure expectorsmith and I are not the only ones you have helped (and will help) with this.

Cheers!