what's the difference between lobby and porch?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

liutingting

what's the difference between lobby and porch?

Post by liutingting »

:roll: I looked them up in a dictionary , but the definitions are almost the same. I want to know whether they are exactly the same or different part3 in the house.
Could anyone be patient enough to tell me a detailed answer? Thank you.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: what's the difference between lobby and porch?

Post by Tukanja »

I looked for the words in the dictionaries and to my understanding the lobby is inside a building.
It's a big room which you get in to when passing through the main entrance door.
If the lobby is a part of, for example, a hotel, the people which have been living there or visiting it frequently, run one to another or make appointments there and come to an agreement where to go, what to do, etc..
Sometimes there is an additional room called vestibule and it takes place between the main entrance door and the lobby. The vestibule has usually been made like a small place of a few square metres only and between the two doors. Entering the main entrance door you're getting into the vestibule and then passing trough the vestibule, you're getting to the second door which is usually lighter then the first one and through which you are coming in to the lobby. Sometimes and in the family houses vestibule is used for leaving the shoes or umbrellas or such things there. Vestibule is called the entrance hall as well, I think.

In addition some buildings have a covered structure in front of the main entrance door.
It is called a doorway.
The similar structure but much greater then the doorway is called a porch.
Many times it takes along the whole wall at which the door has been put in and it is about 2 to 4 metres wide.
Mostly, the porch has been made of wood but sometimes not. It depends on the climate.
liutingting

Re: what's the difference between lobby and porch?

Post by liutingting »

That's very helpful. Thank you.