How can I improve my writing?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

samking

How can I improve my writing?

Post by samking »

Hi, friends!
My name is Sam and I'm not a native English language speaker but still I want to be a good writer. I know it's not an easy thing to do, but still I think I can do it.
English as my second language is very hard for me to speak or write with. I want to improve my writing skills in such a way that it would be unnoticeable that it's from a native English writer or from an ESL writer. The main thing I want to know is that, what should I do that will improve my writing skills in the short duration of a month or two months. I'm stating the time as a month because I'm a hard working person, even if I'm unable to do something but still I try my best to do that thing.
I've been reading books and doing their exercises to improve my writing and grammar for some time. Please, guys, help me in my quest of learning English as a native person or be good at English. Please give me your guidance regarding learning English better as well as for improving my writing.
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: How can I improve my writing?

Post by Krisi »

Keep on reading.
esl member since 2007
samking

Post by samking »

Hi, thanks for your reply and yes I'm constantly reading like 2-3 hours a day just general books written by the English authours. And I have also been reading many books of English grammar to improve my sentence style and to fix my grammatical errors. However, I still feel that I need to do something else that can make me feel that I'm getting very good. Please, any other advice or recommendation is most welcome. Thanks again Krisi for your kind answer.
Thunguyen

Post by Thunguyen »

When reading, note how the words are used, i.e., the grammar of the words. For example,
When reading
“The only access to the village is by boat.”,
you should pay attention to the structure “access to”.
also, create your own examples when learning new words, structure. The more complex/lively your sentences are, the more you remember the words/structures.
perhaps that's also help!
Prestige

Post by Prestige »

Hey, Sam

To be a good writer, you must practice writing EVERYDAY. You do not need to write many pages, one page is enough! And you can write about any subject you like. Most importantly, your writing must be free of errors. Check google to find a check writing software to help you clean your writing of all errors and mistakes.

good luck
fastassign

Post by fastassign »

There are several ways that helps to improve your handwriting:
1. Practice regularly: this helps you to do different things a much as I can. It is an old saying that practice makes man's perfect.
It actually groom one' personality.
2. Time management: This is an important thing because one can write the assignments according to their time limited.
3. Use Vocabulary: It creates variety to an individual's work. This helps them to learn new words.