Sentence correction (non-finite clause and verb usage)

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

UNCalex

Sentence correction (non-finite clause and verb usage)

Post by UNCalex »

Hi there :)

For my graduate statement of purpose, I tried to write something like "I want to make this very interesting, therefore I work together with a lot of people" (oversimplified).

I came up with this formulation, but as a non-native speaker, I am not sure, whether this is grammatically correct and conveys the meaning I intended. Also, I am unsure whether "build" the best verb in this sentence:

Driven by these challenges, I founded Big Ethics, a project, where I visit schools to provide information about big data and artificial intelligence. To make this as revealing and comprehensive as possible, I build my material together with academics and professionals from a variety of fields.

Any help would be highly appreciated :)

Best
Alex
JenSie

Re: Sentence correction (non-finite clause and verb usage)

Post by JenSie »

Hi Alex,

I have a couple of suggestions for changes to the sentence:

1. To make this as revealing and comprehensive as possible, I work together with academics and professionals from a variety
of fields to create my material.
2. To make this as revealing and comprehensive as possible, I work together with academics and professionals from a variety
of fields to create high-quality instructional material.

I'm not sure if you need "high-quality instructional" in the 2nd sentence, but it seems that you're trying to emphasize the quality of your material.

Let me know if this was any help.

JenSie