Are “rather”, “quite”, “various” and “very” redundant here?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Junshan

Are “rather”, “quite”, “various” and “very” redundant here?

Post by Junshan »

Hello everyone! Could you please help me with this short essay? Are “rather”, “quite”, “various” and “very” redundant here? I wonder if native speakers think it will be better to delete these words.

Mr. L. had been a member of the literary circles for years without attracting any public attention. He felt rather deserted, and so he managed through various personal connections to invite Mr. J., a famous literary critic, to an elaborate dinner besides presenting him with expensive gifts.
​Mr. J. was quite moved by Mr. L.’s hospitality and promised right away, "It's not fair that you have been so ignored! I must write an article for a key newspaper to recommend your works. The merits of your works are...
Mr. L. hastily cut in, shaking his head and waving his hands," No! No! I only beg you to write a very severe criticism against me. From my years of experience, I have come to the conclusion that all articles you criticize will become popular not only in our country but also in the world. Meanwhile, you gain greater fame and interests through your criticism. This is indeed `extremes meet' and will only end up with mutual help and benefit!"

This is a satirical essay written by Chinese writer WANG Meng and translated by ZHANG Peiji, and its title is “Helping Each Other”.

When I was reading, I was a little confused about words like “rather”, “quite”, “various” and “very”, because it seems that they are superfluous and belong to Chinglish.

However, I think they are acceptable, because the translator might use them deliberately to reinforce the satire (especially the word “various”), but I don’t know whether I’m right.

Thank you very much!!!
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Are “rather”, “quite”, “various” and “very” redundant here?

Post by Firefox »

Junshan wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:57 am Hello everyone! Could you please help me with this short essay? Are “rather”, “quite”, “various” and “very” redundant here? I wonder if native speakers think it will be better to delete these words.

Mr. L. had been a member of the literary circles for years without attracting any public attention. He felt rather deserted, and so he managed through various personal connections to invite Mr. J., a famous literary critic, to an elaborate dinner besides presenting him with expensive gifts.
​Mr. J. was quite moved by Mr. L.’s hospitality and promised right away, "It's not fair that you have been so ignored! I must write an article for a key newspaper to recommend your works. The merits of your works are...
Mr. L. hastily cut in, shaking his head and waving his hands," No! No! I only beg you to write a very severe criticism against me. From my years of experience, I have come to the conclusion that all articles you criticize will become popular not only in our country but also in the world. Meanwhile, you gain greater fame and interests through your criticism. This is indeed `extremes meet' and will only end up with mutual help and benefit!"

This is a satirical essay written by Chinese writer WANG Meng and translated by ZHANG Peiji, and its title is “Helping Each Other”.

When I was reading, I was a little confused about words like “rather”, “quite”, “various” and “very”, because it seems that they are superfluous and belong to Chinglish.

However, I think they are acceptable, because the translator might use them deliberately to reinforce the satire (especially the word “various”), but I don’t know whether I’m right.

Thank you very much!!!
I am a native speaker and the words you query seem perfectly in place to me.