English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

pdh0224
Rising Star
Rising Star

State and Action

Post by pdh0224 »

Dear teacher,

when there is "he made his son study hard",we can know the sentence is intended to express an action of him. If I want to express an action by using a phrase structure(noun+modifier), how can I do it? Does it work if I just make a verbal phrase a modifer for a subject? That is, Could the characteristic of action of a sentence be represented by a structure "noun+modifier"? As I know, a structure "noun+modifier"(ex he making his son study hard) just show a state not a action. What do you think?

All the best,
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by Alan »

No instances of what you describe spring to mind. What prompts you to ask this question? Does it serve any useful purpose??
pdh0224
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by pdh0224 »

Do you mean you don't understand my question?
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by Alan »

No, I mean that I fail to see its point.

This is a website dedicated to giving practical advice to English learners related to real-life English problems, normally concerning the correctness or otherwise of specific sentences. Priority must therefore be given to such questions over ones that appear to represent little more than theoretical speculation (however interesting or thought-provoking).

Thus, if you can show me a good, practical reason for asking the question, I'll be happy to give it my consideration!