Simple/Complex/Compound Sentences

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

Matias

Simple/Complex/Compound Sentences

Post by Matias »

I know that a complex/compound sentence needs two clauses that means two subjects and two predicates, but theese sentences are giving me problems. If you can help me to identify their structure I would really apreciatte it.

1)They concluded that, alongside diet and climate, non-verbal social communication played an important but overlooked role.
-This one I think is a complex sentence because it has two subjects (They and non-verbal social communication) with their predicates and a subordinating conjunction which is "that"

2)We know that other factors such as diet, respiratory physiology and climate have contributed to the shape of the modern human face, but to interpret its evolution solely in terms of these factors would be an oversimplification.
-This one is similar to the first sentence.

3) Facial shrinking had become especially pronounced since the agricultural revolution, and the switch from being hunter-gatherers to farmers and then to living in cities.
-Two conjunctions, (Since, and).

Thank you! :mrgreen:
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Simple/Complex/Compound Sentences

Post by Firefox »

Matias wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:09 am 1)They concluded that, alongside diet and climate, non-verbal social communication played an important but overlooked role.
-This one I think is a complex sentence because it has two subjects (They and non-verbal social communication) with their predicates and a subordinating conjunction which is "that" :ok:
COMPLEX SENTENCE

2)We know that other factors such as diet, respiratory physiology and climate have contributed to the shape of the modern human face, but to interpret its evolution solely in terms of these factors would be an oversimplification.
-This one is similar to the first sentence :nok:
COMPOUND-COMPLEX SENTENCE
BUT IS A CONJUNCTION TOO

3) Facial shrinking had become especially pronounced since the agricultural revolution, and the switch from being hunter-gatherers to farmers and then to living in cities.
-Two conjunctions, (Since, and) :nok:
SIMPLE SENTENCE
SINCE IS NOT A CONJUNCTION HERE. AND DOES NOT JOIN CLAUSES HERE
SEE https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/sen ... ucture.htm