cheese, stinking but delicious?

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

pencil

cheese, stinking but delicious?

Post by pencil »

hello everyone,
i have been told about there is a sort of handmade cheese in europe, it will smell absolutely stinking when being roasted, but extremely delicious.
(if so, it is similarly right to our fish sauce)

whether this is true?
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

I don't like cheese very much but there are a lot of Germans who eat stinking cheese.
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

For cheese, come to Switzerland !!!!

Gruyère !!! (even ::: a quebecer girl came today to Gruyère !!! I introduce her the culture of Gruyère !!! the cheese named (by the region "la région de Gruyère") "Le Gruyère" ; la double-crème de Gruyère (dobble cream of Gruyère, double because of composed of two different cheeses, and some fat :lol: ; la fondue, la raclette !!!

Some others cheeses of Switzerland :

la tomme
l'Emmental (Emmental is a region)
le Bry (another region :mrgreen: )

Shokin
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

oh god, I become dizzy... :lol:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

shokin wrote:For cheese, come to Switzerland !!!!

Gruyère !!! (even ::: a quebecer girl came today to Gruyère !!! I introduce her the culture of Gruyère !!! the cheese named (by the region "la région de Gruyère") "Le Gruyère" ; la double-crème de Gruyère (dobble cream of Gruyère, double because of composed of two different cheeses, and some fat :lol: ; la fondue, la raclette !!!
Gruyère cheese is internationally known, right Shokin?
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

In all cases, it is very famous in Switzerland. :lol:

In others countries... I don't really know. Is our Gruyère cheese so famous in Catalunya ?

http://www.cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=gruyere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruy%C3%A8re_cheese

Because I live in Fribourg, not so away from Gruyère, and because I like Gruyère, I have to advertise for this very good cheese !!! :mrgreen:

Did you know that 2/3 of the production of the Gruyère cheese is eaten by the swiss people ? :lol:

About the different cheeses :

http://www.cheese.com/

http://www.switzerlandcheese.ca/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese

Shokin
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I had no idea. I just know that Gruyère cheese is very popular.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

I know only that some cheese I like and some not..

Actually i have made my self some cheese like thing... well i think it's not really cheese.. it's called cõir in estonian, don't know how it's in english.. Of course i get every time difrent result.. it newer gomed out like it suposed, but usually even beter.. and sometime really ~ good.. And it did not stink.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I'm willing to taste la fondue - I've heard it's fantastically delicious - but it is so comlicated to cook - you need a special bowl, right? (oh, i'm so hungry! 8) )
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Tora wrote:I'm willing to taste la fondue - I've heard it's fantastically delicious - but it is so comlicated to cook - you need a special bowl, right? (oh, i'm so hungry! 8) )
Yes, we name it in french "un caquelon". :mrgreen:

So difficult ? not sure ! come once to Switzerland, and you will enjoy !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondue

http://www.myhouseandgarden.com/recipes ... fondue.htm

(you've seen the originell fondue but there are some others "fondues", it is another story)

Shokin
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Tora wrote:I'm willing to taste la fondue - I've heard it's fantastically delicious - but it is so comlicated to cook - you need a special bowl, right? (oh, i'm so hungry! 8) )
I tried it once, many years ago, at my aunt's place. We had such a fun time I'd like to do it again...

But it has nothing to do with cheese now does it? :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

You can do the easy one. It's actually one of the easiest fondue ever, to me. Chocolate, strawberries or any kind of fruits, and voila, you'll have a good time with your friends enjoying fondue. 8)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Dixie wrote:
I tried it once, many years ago, at my aunt's place. We had such a fun time I'd like to do it again...

But it has nothing to do with cheese now does it? :roll:
Oh yes, it does. The original fondue was done with cheese. Then people started to cook it with other ingredients. The one I told Tora is called dessert fondue (did not know it until now). I haven't tried the one with cheese yet, so I don't know how good it would be. The dessert fondue is really good, especially when you're having bonfire. 8)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Making Ricotta Cheese

I've found a clip at youtube that they recorded how people make Ricotta Cheese. The volume is really low. You need to turn your volume on high.

What's Ricotta Cheese?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: cheese, stinking but delicious?

Post by MissLT »

pencil wrote:hello everyone,
i have been told about there is a sort of handmade cheese in europe, it will smell absolutely stinking when being roasted, but extremely delicious.

whether this is true?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_cheese

This is the smelly cheese.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

There's an arcade place that is for kids. It's called Chuck E. Cheese's although it has nothing to do with cheese. I wonder why it was named that way. Quite funny! :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chucky_cheese

My nephews said their macaroni and cheese is pretty good. I don't know how good it could get to get one to sacrifice his/her health since I find it pretty unhealthy to eat that stuff. :roll:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:
You can do the easy one. It's actually one of the easiest fondue ever, to me. Chocolate, strawberries or any kind of fruits, and voila, you'll have a good time with your friends enjoying fondue. 8)
wow! thanks! I will try it I guess
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

LennyeTran wrote:Making Ricotta Cheese

I've found a clip at youtube that they recorded how people make Ricotta Cheese. The volume is really low. You need to turn your volume on high.
I have watched it but didn't get what she added to the gallon of milk? is this all? hmmm... interesting!
but the picture in wikipedia doesn't coincide with the dish they cooked in bay cafe - frankly speaking it looks more like Adigeyskiy cheese I love so much

cheese believe me under cover is exactly what Resotta made.
have found the recipe of the Adigeyskiy cheese - in russian :( - rather simple to cook and really reminds me of the cafe bay recipe 8)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I don't know. Let me rewatch it to find out.
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

pencil wrote:hello everyone,

whether this is true?
Some cheeses don’t smell that bad. The blue cheese is the worst one. Fish sauce and cheese are totally different. Cheeses make from milks, but fish sauces make from fresh fish extract, water, and salt. Fish sauce smell heavier and salty than cheese. I like fish sauce better. It’s better fit with my taste. Do you know “nuoc mam” is a noun officially on English dictionary? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuoc%20mam
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

Dixie wrote:Gruyère cheese is internationally known, right Shokin?
Yes, that's the one with the wholes :lol: . I even saw it in US supermarkets, labeled just as "Swiss Cheese".
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

Tora wrote:I'm willing to taste la fondue - I've heard it's fantastically delicious - but it is so comlicated to cook - you need a special bowl, right?
I'm sure a simple pan and an electric stove you can put on the table would do it.

I was just looking in the web for a fondue recipe, OMG it's unbelievable what people make of fondues :shock: Red lobster or meatball fondues, or seafood cheese fondue :shock: I'm really open to try new recipes, but I don't think I could put seafood in a fondue*arghh*

Anyway, here's a recipe for an original Swiss fondue:

http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/cook ... /swiss.htm

By the way, it's a lot of fun to share a fondue with a couple of friends :lol: , because you can bet with them to do something funny, if someone loses his piece of bread in the fondue.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

vince90 wrote:It’s better fit with my taste. Do you know “nuoc mam” is a noun officially on English dictionary? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuoc%20mam
Whoooo hooooo!!! Last time I and my cousins were going shopping, and we smelled something really bad. We were telling ourselves that smell was kinda like nuoc mam. Then we turned around and saw a Vietnamese restaurant on the side of the road. :lol: :lol:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Rach wrote: Red lobster or meatball fondues, or seafood cheese fondue :shock: I'm really open to try new recipes, but I don't think I could put seafood in a fondue*arghh*
We Vietnamese do seafood fondue, too, but we don't use cheese for fondue. We use chicken soup extract. The hot and spicy or Thai tomyum style is pretty good as a seafood fondue. 8)
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

LennyeTran wrote:
vince90 wrote:It’s better fit with my taste. Do you know “nuoc mam” is a noun officially on English dictionary? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nuoc%20mam
Whoooo hooooo!!! Last time I and my cousins were going shopping, and we smelled something really bad. We were telling ourselves that smell was kinda like nuoc mam. Then we turned around and saw a Vietnamese restaurant on the side of the road. :lol: :lol:
Yep! It’s a plus tip to find Vietnamese Restaurant while you are on the road. :wink:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

And quite embarrassing, I must say, since the smell was really bad. :lol:
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

LennyeTran wrote:We Vietnamese do seafood fondue, too, but we don't use cheese for fondue. We use chicken soup extract. The hot and spicy or Thai tomyum style is pretty good as a seafood fondue. 8)
Yeah we know that sort of fondue with chicken soup extract too, it's really tasty with seafood. We call it "Fondue Chinoise" (Chinese fondue), I have no idea why we call it like this. But the cheese fondue I coundn't stand with seafood :shock:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Because people tend to think China is a cradle of Asian culture.....
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I haven't had the cheese seafood fondue. Actually I haven't had any cheese fondue. Cheese fondue, it sounds pretty fatty to me. And since I'm lactose intolerant, I'll have a hard time with the bathroom break after eating it.