about "more often than not"

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

moonshine

about "more often than not"

Post by moonshine »

I am not sure about the expression "more often than not" .Here is a circumstance refering to it:Instead of devoting large parts of time to our loved ones,we replace them with something called 'quality time',which,more often than not,is no time at all.
Could you explain it to me? Thanks!
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: about "more often than not"

Post by byron »

moonshine wrote:I am not sure about the expression "more often than not" .Here is a circumstance refering to it:Instead of devoting large parts of time to our loved ones,we replace them with something called 'quality time',which,more often than not,is no time at all.
Could you explain it to me? Thanks!
'Quality time' is an american expression that has become used world-wide where-ever English is spoken. It just means to spend more meaningful time with (for example) your family. A father who spends a lot of time away from home would say "I need to spend more quality time with my children because I am away more often than not" In this case 'more often than not' means he is away more than he is at home.
You could also say "I gamble a lot but I lose more often than not" meaning that you lose more times than you win.
moonshine

Post by moonshine »

Thank you. :D