i was/were - without if

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

englishmix

i was/were - without if

Post by englishmix »

so i know usually the correct is "I were", but all the examples i found were with an "if". but on american tv i have heard many times I was.
so online i found this https://www.cliffsnotes.com/cliffsnotes ... re-and-why

If I was wrong, I apologize.
If I were wrong, I would apologize.

on the website it says both ways correct in different moods. maybe someone can clarify this for me?
thanks
Venreaver

Re: i was/were - without if

Post by Venreaver »

I believe that "were" is suitable only for hypothetical clauses or plural form. When you talk about possibility being wrong it could be true. So you can use "was".
JamesWatson

Post by JamesWatson »

The second sentence is an expression of subjunctive mood.
The subjunctive mood is the verb form used to express a wish, a suggestion, a command, or a condition that is contrary to fact.

"I were... I would .." is for expression of subjunctive mood. So, the second sentence implies that I am sure that I was not wrong at all.
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Josef Essberger »

English Prepositions List by Josef Essberger
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero
Josef Essberger
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Josef Essberger »

englishmix wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:33 pmIf I was wrong, I apologize.
If I were wrong, I would apologize.
The question here is more about logic than grammar. You have to get into your head the idea that:
in the first case the speaker doesn't know if he was right or wrong, and
in the second case the speaker (thinks that he) knows that he was right (so for the speaker, it's a fact).

Since "being wrong" is contrary to fact, he uses the subjunctive (as explained by JamesWatson).

Look at some other sentences:

Suppose I were tall. Would you love me? (Is the speaker tall?)
I wish I were slim. (Is the speaker slim?)
If I was there, why did no-one see me? (Was the speaker there?)

And I've given you one example of "I were" without if.

And btw, many native speakers say "if I was" when "if I were" would be correct. It's almost normal usage in informal speech. But I wouldn't recommend it in your TOEFL :twisted:
English Prepositions List by Josef Essberger
Extremely useful ebook full of examples and visual aids to learn prepositions :ok: Inés Barbero
englishmix

Post by englishmix »

JamesWatson wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:14 am The second sentence is an expression of subjunctive mood.
The subjunctive mood is the verb form used to express a wish, a suggestion, a command, or a condition that is contrary to fact.

"I were... I would .." is for expression of subjunctive mood. So, the second sentence implies that I am sure that I was not wrong at all.
thanks.
but it the guy feels he did no wrong, should it be "if i were wrong i would have apologized [optional: already]" ?
JamesWatson

Post by JamesWatson »

englishmix wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 am
JamesWatson wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:14 am The second sentence is an expression of subjunctive mood.

thanks.
but it the guy feels he did no wrong, should it be "if i were wrong i would have apologized [optional: already]" ?
Yes, I think so. 8-)
LashellB

Post by LashellB »

You can use were (instead of was) in statements that are contrary to fact.

Here is one example:

If I were you, I wouldn't tempt those alligators by swimming here. (Were is the proper choice because the statement is contrary to fact.)