Context question

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Blacksheep

Context question

Post by Blacksheep »

Hello,

I was messaging my friend whom I was asking to ask my teacher if he could write a reference for me. The teacher isn't able to write in English, which means I was going to have to translate his reference. I didn't want to have any problems with him translating the reference for me, so I thought he could send me the reference and then I could pay to professionals for translating it. If he sends me the reference, it means I could read it(seeing a reference is unusual because it's private), so I asked my friend, ''Wouldn't it be awkward to see what he wrote?'' At that point, he hadn't written anything, which means writing was hypothetical, so I didn't know which tense to use, but my intuition told to use past simple(wrote). The question is: what tense should I use with this context?

P.S I'm aware it can be changed to something simpler, but I'd like to know the answer when using this sentence.

Thanks
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Context question

Post by Joe »

Seems correct.

An alternative might have been:

Won't it be awkward to see what he writes?

but that would have presupposed that he was definitely going to write something.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven