General Grammar Survey

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

Asdrubael

General Grammar Survey

Unread post by Asdrubael »

I am a new teacher, and I'd like to conduct a bit of a survey. My history is such that I have had little formal grammar education. I know enough to teach the building blocks and a few more elaborate concepts. However, as an English teacher, I am disappointed with my lack of grammar background. I feel that I've locked down all of my literary and content-oriented lessons, but my grammar lessons are way too weak and infrequent. If you wouldn't mind, please take time to answer any of the following questions on here or via private message.

Is there one resource (text or online) that I should be looking at for grammar instruction? I'd prefer something that is a bit more user-friendly and can easily be adapted into lessons for 10-12th graders.

Excluding basic sentence structure, what five grammar concepts do you consider absolutely crucial?

What exercises/lesson plans do you find to be the most effective in maintaining student involvement and interest when teaching grammar?

Do you teach grammar as a condensed, individual unit or as a semester/year-long series of miniature units? Why?

What, in your experience, is the biggest weakness of English-speaking high schoolers in terms of grammar?

What percentage of your graded papers does grammar account for?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm trying to improve myself as best as humanly possible and I appreciate the input. Know that any advice is assisting in the growth of a young teacher and, through extension, goes to the benefit of all of my future students.
konyang

Re: General Grammar Survey

Unread post by konyang »

Betty Azar's books are clear and filled with good exercises. However, she does not use controlled vocabulary. There is also a book called Fun with Grammar.