Help!!

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

HnoDeimos

Help!!

Unread post by HnoDeimos »

I need help, please.
I teach English in a small Catholic high school in South America. My problem is that, no matter what I do, my students refuse to learn.
It is a little bit frustrating because it makes me think that I am not good for this job and, anyone could do it better than me.
I will appreciate any suggestion you make.
Thanks a lot.

Pedro
Johnattan

Re: Help!!

Unread post by Johnattan »

Well, I know it is frustrating, but you shouldn't worry so much about that, people usually refuse to learn a new language when they don't need it at all. It happens a lot here in Brazil, especially at public schools. Sooner or later they'll realize that speaking English is vital to enter a market, and the best part is that they won't be able to go back in time.

Have a nice week!
Johnattan Chaves.
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Help!!

Unread post by eric_p_m »

Dear Pedro,

At that age, your students should be searching for direction and motivational forces towards upcoming life goals. Learn more about them and utilize what information you find out to motivate them to learn language. As soon as they realize that a language is just a medium of communication, solict reasons why speaking a foreign language would benefit them in the future. Keep on asking them right up till exhaustion... then ask them if they can think of just one reason why learning another language would be detrimental to their future.

If your students are all Catholic and in high school, you could always role play that one student in your class will have the opportunity to study abroad in a native English-speaking country. While there, he or she will become friends with an English-speaking student who is also Catholic. Would your student know the Lord's Prayer in English?
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
How is this to motivate your students to ask a question?

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/