How can you teach English to 52 teenagers in the same class?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

andrea

How can you teach English to 52 teenagers in the same class?

Unread post by andrea »

I,m a teacher in a public school we have 49 or 52 students in class, with 3 hours per week , we use the software Ellis in the lab. But every year I feel that we can't advance and they are still begginers.
Can you help me, I use dialogs, recipies'presentations, readings, songs ,rol play and many things but I don't know how can I make them to speak more.
meylenlau
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: How can you teach English to 52 teenagers in the same cl

Unread post by meylenlau »

andrea wrote:I,m a teacher in a public school we have 49 or 52 students in class, with 3 hours per week , we use the software Ellis in the lab. But every year I feel that we can't advance and they are still begginers.
Can you help me, I use dialogs, recipies'presentations, readings, songs ,rol play and many things but I don't know how can I make them to speak more.
It's a problem to teach such a big class, what more to say if the English Language for them is the second or third language in your school, definitely it will slow down the learning/speaking process because they have choices to speak the mother tongue/ first language which is easier for them to communicate to each other .
Humans'nature is quite realistic, if ones have no other choices , then only they’ll use it.
Unless the speaking is in their examination scope, by making speaking as a part of heir examination will sure make them more serious in it.
Ele

Unread post by Ele »

Demand a split group. Speaking is something to be learnt by practice.
The sun sets, the sun rises.
Lynn
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Lynn »

With such a large class, you might be able to teach them to read and write, but speaking is not going to happen. Ele is right, but you may not be able to force your school to split classes. The only other option is to divide the class into smaller groups. While others are working on written assignments, take one small group at a time to practice speaking and listening. It's not ideal, but you may see a little more progress.

One labor intensive option is to organize an English club to meet after school. Since this will be optional, you will probably not have everyone from class show up. That will be good, because with fewer students, you might be able to get them talking.

Please post again and let us know how you get on.